3D range ready for 2008 (NE GA)

hansel

TTT
For a great place to shoot and have a good time
Also Don is a good guy :flag:

I agree:bounce: for you guys that are in the area of Cleveland, you've got to stop by Hiawatha Hills 3-D range, it's simple a great course:banana: Don does an excellent job at making the shot's as realistic as it get's. And you might even kick up some deer like I have:fine::fine:

BIGWALK

how does it all work? I am very new to archery and trying to get into it. I am from Dahlonega and interested in visiting, but do not know how the tournament stuff works.

hiawatha

I actually don't have any tournaments scheduled yet. We may put on a few later in the year. What we have here is set up all the time. At tournaments they usually set up targets just for that date. The North GA Archery Club Circuit puts on a tournament almost every Sunday until deer season opens and one or so before Christmas. To find out about local archery tournament click on this link: www.northgaarcheryclubs.com . There you'll find schedules, links and or directions to which club is having a shoot that particular weekend (almost always on Sunday). We have a 3D range set up very similar to what you might see at a local shoot. 20 3D animal targets at different distances along a trail , you stand at a marker and have to estimate the distance then shoot (hopefully) the bulls eye in order to make the best score you can (or just for fun). I promise you shooting 3D ranges will make you a better archer. We have a lot of folks who come here to practice for upcoming tournaments, to learn what it's about , or just to have fun. If you want to give it a try just give us a call and come on by most anytime. Here you can move at your own pace without anyone watching if you so desire. I like shooting with a couple of buddies. Personally, I think it reminds me of golf a little (but more fun). It's a very competitive sport. Everyone shoots at different levels so most all tournaments and 3D ranges are set up for a variety of classes. There are usually three different markers where you stand to take your shot. Each marker is for a different class. Usually the marker is set with a maximum yardage in mind for that class. Novice class (where you would start) is around 35 yd max. That means your distance should be no greater than 35 yds and you have to decide what the correct distance is to hit the bulls eye. Each target has score rings in the kill zone. In the target outside the rings counts 5 points, inside the outermost ring is 8 points, inside the next is 10, and the bulls eye is a 12. Some targets have a 14 ring usually positioned so if you miss a little you could get a 8 or 5 instead of a 10. Generally the ASA set the rules for our area, IBO up north. Particulars include equipment specs per class and a speed limit of around 280 fps. You can find more details online or ask anyone here on GON, they'll be glad to help.

Caution! 3D is very addictive. If you start it you may get hooked. Get a bow, some arrows (with field tips) and come by and give it a try. Shooting the whole course can take from 1+ to 2+ hours depending on you.