3D Sites

dhardegree

I'm still shooting novice, but know that I'll move up one day. I want to get to know about some of the sites available like the sure loc supreme vs. challenger vs. others similar styles. What should I look for? What is third axis(access?)? Special peeps required? Why do they have various lengths on their bars? Expected price for a good quality used one?

I'm not ready for one yet. But, I want to know what to look for incase a good deal comes along!

dusty80

What type sight are you thinking about? A scope or one with pins? I shoot a Viper Microtune with .10 pins and a 4x lens with a #1 clarifier. The 3rd axis is where you can adjust the pin housing.....either turn it to you or away from you, according to how you torque your bow.

dhardegree

I keep seeing all these sure locs with scopes. Just seeing what they're all about.

So the 3rd axis is like a windage adjustment on a rifle scope?

dusty80

I keep seeing all these sure locs with scopes. Just seeing what they're all about.

So the 3rd axis is like a windage adjustment on a rifle scope?

Not exactly, the 3rd axis pivits the pin housing. Some people torque their bow(me). This causing you to look at the pins from an angle. All the 3rd axis does is square the pins up to you so you aren't looking at them at an angle. This is the best way I know how to explain it. With the scopes and the Sure locs you are talking about.... most just have a dot in the middle of the scope, much like a red dot scope. Then you just dial in into the yardage that you think the target is.

Taylor Co.

3rd axis helps only if you have a form flaw w/a combo of shooting up/down hill..the CBE's don't have it but alot of the best shooters enjoy great accuracy w/them!
The Challengers do "lock-down" the Supreme's do not..But the Supreme is still supposed to be a better sight..Perhaps we can not shoot the difference

reylamb

The biggest issue I ever had with the Sure Loc Challenger was that it did not lock down. No big deal for 3D, but indoors it had a bad habit of moving while shooting. Plus, it rattled.

The farther the bar is from your eye the larger the pin gap is. The bigger the pin gap the finer you can set the yardage.

My only issue with CBE has always been a lack of 3rd axis adjustment without having to buy another part for the sight. Flat land, no problem as the machining on risers and the sight itself keeps everything square. 3rd axis is helpful on uphill/downhill shots primarily.

I personally prefer the Copper John ANTS series, but there is nothing wrong with any of the top of the line target sights, ie CBE (second favorite), Sure Loc, TRU Ball, etc.

For a new setup you will be looking at $300+ for the sight, scope, and lens. Used, anywhere $100 plus, depending on the age.

I no longer use a clarifier, and will never put one back in. Yes, for some the target will be fuzzy without the clarifier depending on the power of lens you are using. However, I will give up some clarity and never have problems with rain, fog, or snow making it impossible to see through the clarifier ever again.

Which sight...

HTM gets overlooked a lot. They are a small company, but their stuff is rock solid. And when you find a used one it is usually a good deal. I agree with Butch though, CBE is probably the best.