#4 of my career

buckpasser

I scouted around this weekend for some fresh sign to set out on. After covering ALOT of ground, I found a few tracks using a washed out field terrace to cut across a cotton field. I set three sets on Sunday afternoon (100 yards from 1-3) on the terrace. A trench set with two traps on each end and a very minor dirt hole in the middle with a single trap.

As I drove over there this morning, I thought about what MarkK once said in regard to normally catching after 4 or 5 days. Sure enough, this big male was on the first trench set he came to. He wasn’t that dirty, but blended in perfectly with the soil color as I drove up on him. I hope the thrill of discovering a trapped coyote doesn’t fade in the future, because it’s still very exciting now! One more before New Year and I’ll accomplish the 2020 goal I set for myself.

963703C9-53AB-4A22-9506-47254FDA440E.jpeg3C79E32F-3158-4DF0-96FB-2CB6268CE8C8.jpeg

buckpasser

280 Man

Banned
I scouted around this weekend for some fresh sign to set out on. After covering ALOT of ground, I found a few tracks using a washed out field terrace to cut across a cotton field. I set three sets on Sunday afternoon (100 yards from 1-3) on the terrace. A trench set with two traps on each end and a very minor dirt hole in the middle with a single trap.

As I drove over there this morning, I thought about what MarkK once said in regard to normally catching after 4 or 5 days. Sure enough, this big male was on the first trench set he came to. He wasn’t that dirty, but blended in perfectly with the soil color as I drove up on him. I hope the thrill of discovering a trapped coyote doesn’t fade in the future, because it’s still very exciting now! One more before New Year and I’ll accomplish the 2020 goal I set for myself.

View attachment 1022514View attachment 1022515

Well done. I love yote pics. I like dead yote pics even better! I hope he's "blending in the with soil" even better by now! LOL

Donal

I’m a newbie. How could you fellows tell his age? I examined his teeth, and they were much worse off than the others I’ve trapped, but what gave it away in the pics?
This one is 3 to 4 y o. Not many scars on face and head. The male leader of the pack will have many scares on face, head and torn ears, probably broken teeth with stains at gum line. I trapped for them and never caught an alpha male in a leg hold trap. Finally I captured one in an otter set.

280 Man

Banned
Red wolf DNA is in 99.99% of Eastern coyotes.

You would be right. Most anyone that "fools" with coyotes knows this but I think you missed my point! My point was, other than just stating "that's a red wolf yote mix", what characteristics does that yote in the pic lead the "poster" to state "that's a red wolf yote mix"!

280 Man

Banned
This one is 3 to 4 y o. Not many scars on face and head. The male leader of the pack will have many scares on face, head and torn ears, probably broken teeth with stains at gum line. I trapped for them and never caught an alpha male in a leg hold trap. Finally I captured one in an otter set.

Scars and broken teeth could be a indicator but scars and broken teeth can indicate other things, especially with meat eating animals. Incisor tooth wear, next to the canine is the best indicator!

buckpasser

This one was carrying an unusual number of scars on his hind legs. They were healed over but appeared to be bite marks. He also had a fresh gash on his shoulder. His canines were blunted off pretty good too. No noticeable damage on his face or ears. The big black male I caught had a lot of old wounds on his face and a little piece of lip was healed but hanging off.

Lukikus2

You would be right. Most anyone that "fools" with coyotes knows this but I think you missed my point! My point was, other than just stating "that's a red wolf yote mix", what characteristics does that yote in the pic lead the "poster" to state "that's a red wolf yote mix"!

Head and snout shape. The pads don't look wolf so it could be a coydog.

buckpasser

This morning I was surprised to see that the other two sets were dug up from the back last night. No tracks around the front. I’m wondering if this visitor wasn’t a witness to what happened to the male. It was way more work to get that little bit of tainted meat that way, but the dog won this round.