.44 special

Gbass4567

I just loaded my hunting ammo for my ruger super blackhawk hunter. This gun really shoots the lyman #429421 bullet very well. I went with a hot load of 2400 in a .44 special. Anyone else hunt with .44 special?

Attachments

• 20220914_132218.jpg
    20220914_132218.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 23

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I just loaded my hunting ammo for my ruger super blackhawk hunter. This gun really shoots the lyman #429421 bullet very well. I went with a hot load of 2400 in a .44 special. Anyone else hunt with .44 special?
What’s a hot load?

Lonegle57

My view here from many years of hunting with a handgun and reloading.
You seem to have a 44 magnum from your pics. Have one similar in 41 mag.
I am just wondering why go for a full level special load? Plan to try out some specials
I have loaded in a Smith 69 and a Taurus 4 inch tracker for recoil reduction.
I would guess with the bullet jump from special cases instead of mag brass accuracy would suffer some. If you can hit at reasonable distance I doubt a deer would know the difference between mag and special.

Gbass4567

I have my smith and wesson performance center 629 sighted in for .44 magnum 240 grain hornady xtp's. I purchased this gun just for me to shoot the .44 specials and 250 grain hardcast semi wadcutters.

Dub

Anyone else hunt with .44 special?

Nope. Always used .44mags in the guns that were chambered for them......for hunting.

For home defense & plinking, I absolutely enjoy shooting 44 special. It's been a long time since I've had any, though.

That is a great Ruger you have there.