45-70 bear ammo

duke13

so I went ahead and got a Henry 45-70 any suggestions for ammo. Preferably some that's available? :) Mainly spot and stalk N. GA mountains

menhadenman

I'm in the same spot but reload... you can find some that'll do the job for sure but will have to open that wallet. Here are a few options. I'd be partial to the Federals myself but any of these would give a critter a hard time walking away. Good luck.

earlthegoat2

Whatever you might use for deer.

I would go at least 300 gr. and that may very well be where 45-70 ammo starts for bullet weights.

Trapdoor pressure loads will work too.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
A well placed .22 LR will kill anything in North America but OP asked about 45-70. Dang guys. Help or shut up. He don’t care what y’all hunt with. He wants to hunt with a 45-70 and there ain’t nothin wrong with that. Try Appalachian Gun and Pawn brother. Believe I saw some HSMs last time I was in.

chrislibby88

so I went ahead and got a Henry 45-70 any suggestions for ammo. Preferably some that's available? :) Mainly spot and stalk N. GA mountains
My advice: get the heaviest bullet that throws an MOA group. Something that can push through brush. Every bear, and most mountain deer I’ve shot with a .308 has been through cover, and several animals had pre-impact expansion entry wounds. My bullets hit twigs, leaves, expanded/flattened some, then hit the bear or deer. Now it absolutely flays them open, but I would rather have a solid hit and good penetration. Go heavy, especially if you hunt the thick stuff.

furtaker

I miss my 45-70.

If it were me I'd probably just hunt with the old factory Remington 405gr SP if it shot well in my rifle. Or maybe a moderate pressure handload with a good 350 or 400gr bullet.

Bobby Bigtime

The 45-70 is a good choice. You will get by just fine with the lighter bullets and if your gun likes the cheaper stuff from the big three it's even better. Chances are your marksmanship will be better as well as they kick a bit less.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
My advice: get the heaviest bullet that throws an MOA group. Something that can push through brush. Every bear, and most mountain deer I’ve shot with a .308 has been through cover, and several animals had pre-impact expansion entry wounds. My bullets hit twigs, leaves, expanded/flattened some, then hit the bear or deer. Now it absolutely flays them open, but I would rather have a solid hit and good penetration. Go heavy, especially if you hunt the thick stuff.
Nobody ever needs to shoot at anything in the bushes regardless of what they hunt with for a lot of different reasons.

Latest posts