Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
So much to see, so little time to look

Cmp1

BANNED
I think you mentioned Kitty Hawk,,,,if you can,take hwy 264 there,,,,stop off in Bath NC,,,,really nice,,,,est in the 1700s,,,,nice wildlife refuge on the way also,,,,nice peaceful drive,,,,

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I think you mentioned Kitty Hawk,,,,if you can,take hwy 264 there,,,,stop off in Bath NC,,,,really nice,,,,est in the 1700s,,,,nice wildlife refuge on the way also,,,,nice peaceful drive,,,,

yes. We are going to drive about 9 hours over there, and then spend a couple days on the beach. I will have to check out Bath, NC. Thanks

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If y’all do the DC part I would consider finding an outlying station and use the metro. I have been up there twice doing all the attractions on the national mall. Once using a metro station near our motel each day and the next trip trying to drive and park close to the museums etc. It was next to impossible to find even a handicapped space. And those local drivers up there make Atlanta drivers look like saints.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If y’all do the DC part I would consider finding an outlying station and use the metro. I have been up there twice doing all the attractions on the national mall. Once using a metro station near our motel each day and the next trip trying to drive and park close to the museums etc. It was next to impossible to find even a handicapped space. And those local drivers up there make Atlanta drivers look like saints.

you are right about the Metro. I was there once with a group of 26 boy scouts. 4 adults. It reminded me of herding cats when we would hit some of those spots. Especially the Air and Space Museum.

The youngest of those boys would be in their mid twenties now. Man, time flys.

I don't know if you have ever been to the Holocaust Museum, but it was a real eye opener for me.

pjciii

You can see all the historic sites this nation has to offer and if they see an elephant pooping at a zoo or a dolphin acting amorous that is what they will remember.

You can always ask to park at Walmart for free. I like KOA and use them a lot. They will have a pool, a small store and a few other things for grand kids to do.

I also add a few things that make no sense at all except for the oddity and I use this website to find things
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

I would love to do what your thinking when I retire with my own grandkids and will.

Patrick

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Patrick, I would encourage you to start planning now for a trip, even if it is 10 year out. We saved up and paid cash for a camper to take with us. We bought a Jayco Jayfeather EXP. It has pop out tents on both ends and one on the back side, so it can sleep 10 people easy.

I am working on a budget now for the trip. I haven't put a number on what I should set aside for park entrance fees, museum fees, or all the other sites we would like to see. I am going to budget $1800 for fuel, and $3700 for camping fees. Hopefully we will be a bit under those figures in the end.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the more I look into the possibility of doing this, I realize that it will be a major, major undertaking. I'm glad I got started early on it. The only real thing that concerns me is being able to make reservations at some of the stops we are planning, and something delaying us so we lose those reservations.'

Has anyone ever used Good Sam to help plan a trip, and if so, how did that work out for you?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
bump to see if anyone is a Good Sam member, and how it works for them

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You may want to consider mounting a generator on that camper or at least taking a portable. You could end up having to stay somewhere without a hookup.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I've seen "so-so" experiences posted regarding Good Sam, lots of discussions revolve around "is it worth it?".

Since it's part of Camping World, which seems to have a tough time with customer service reviews, fwiw, I tend to keep up with IRV2.com instead of Camping World's RV.net...
Camping Locations, plans and trip reports

They also have a Trip Wizard trip planner app, with a forum for that, seems pretty active:
Trip Wizard

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I've seen "so-so" experiences posted regarding Good Sam, lots of discussions revolve around "is it worth it?".

Since it's part of Camping World, which seems to have a tough time with customer service reviews, fwiw, I tend to keep up with IRV2.com instead of Camping World's RV.net...
Camping Locations, plans and trip reports

They also have a Trip Wizard trip planner app, with a forum for that, seems pretty active:
Trip Wizard

thanks Dave. I wasn't familiar with this website. I am going to join, and see what they offer in planning and such

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
You may want to consider mounting a generator on that camper or at least taking a portable. You could end up having to stay somewhere without a hookup.

I was reading up on Yellowstone. Most of the parks there do not have 'lectricity. The onboard battery would have plenty of power for lights, but I wonder about water pump, ignition for the heater, and I am not sure if the gas refrig uses power to ignite either.

I need to check on these things.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I was reading up on Yellowstone. Most of the parks there do not have 'lectricity. The onboard battery would have plenty of power for lights, but I wonder about water pump, ignition for the heater, and I am not sure if the gas refrig uses power to ignite either.

I need to check on these things.
All that stuff works off the battery without 120 volts. The AC, microwave , and battery charge system all need 120. You may have a dual water heater that works on both LP or 120 volt.
For a trip like you are considering it may be good to keep the fridge on gas.

Last edited:

BassRaider

Badlands Ntl Park
Rushmore
Crazy Horse State Park
Deadwood
Cody (Buffalo Bill Museum)
Yellowstone Natl Park

The park pass does not cover state parks
Possible extreme temp changes - prepare
sounds like a 10k trip? I would budget:
$2500 fuel (10k mi)
$2200 food (5 people x 30 days)
$1000 maint (before & during)
$500 entertainment
$1500 lodging (30 days - have no idea of RV camping fees)
$500 misc