* Updated with Pictures Post 220 * 45 Day 'Round the US Camping Trip w/ Grands

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We are tossing around the idea of a 30 to 45 day round the US camping trip next summer with our 3 oldest grandchildren. They will be 10, 9, and 8 years old. We have a camper that is big enough to handle us comfortably (sleeps 10), and my quad cab Ram will seat the 5 of us in style for the trip, so those things shouldn't be an issue.

We are looking at traveling over Kitty HawK, then up to Williamsburg, then traveling up to DC, the Amish country of Pa., the up to Ct. ( I have a son, DIL, and 2 grandbabies that live there, God help them). Then maybe over to Niagara Falls, thru Canada to Port Huron, down to Indy, across to Des Moines, then to Cody, Wy to spend at least 3 or 4 day in Yellowstone. Travel out the western entrance of YS, to Idaho, then down to Provo, and stay a night or two in Springdale. Cross thru Zion Nat'l Park, to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon for a couple of nights. Leave there for Albequerque, Oklahoma City, and down to Glen Rose Tx to see the Dinosaur Valley Park.( you know the boys will love visiting a place with dino foot prints). Across to Shreveport, then in Pensacola for a 2 or 3 night stay. Travel up to Andersonville to visit the museum there, and then back to good ole northeast Georgia.

Ok, here is where all the well traveled people on GON come in. Along this routing, or with close to this routing, what are some stops that just can't be missed? Is there anywhere I should hit out west, while we are that close. I have talked with Meeno about not doing the northeast loop, but she is pretty set on seeing those grandbabies. We have only seen one of them twice and the other 3 or 4 times. They are 5 and 2 now.

Maybe I should fly her and me up to see them before we did the trip, and cut out the eastern shore stuff? I have already cut out VT, NH, and Me., (I would really like to see those places) to make the trip doable in 42 or 43 days.

Ok, good people, what say you? I can use all the help I can get on planning this trip.

TIA

Pappy.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Snake River ID

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Samsam said since he wanted to be a bullrider, he thought we needed to see the National Cowboy Museum. lol

:biggrin2::biggrin2:

It approaches “cowboy” from historical, rodeo and entertainment. Amazing art collection.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It approaches “cowboy” from historical, rodeo and entertainment. Amazing art collection.

I looked at their website. Mari says she wants to learn about Annie Oakley

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Last edited:

Havana Dude

Just an FYI on Mt Rushmore, while it is very interesting and worth the stop, there really isn’t a lot to do there that takes lot of time. Sure, you’ll want to hang out a bit, but if it’s mid day, and you want to move on, it’s no big deal. On the other hand, if you want to stay overnight, there is a huge KOA, nice, not far away. To add even more, if you stay, I suggest going to the lighting of the faces at dusk. You won’t regret that. Also, the badlands of SD aren’t far away either and you can see old wagon trails.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Just an FYI on Mt Rushmore, while it is very interesting and worth the stop, there really isn’t a lot to do there that takes lot of time. Sure, you’ll want to hang out a bit, but if it’s mid day, and you want to move on, it’s no big deal. On the other hand, if you want to stay overnight, there is a huge KOA, nice, not far away. To add even more, if you stay, I suggest going to the lighting of the faces at dusk. You won’t regret that. Also, the badlands of SD aren’t far away either and you can see old wagon trails.

I had heard that there wasn't much to do there other than look at the carving. I was just looking at our schedule, and we would put in a 9 hour drive that day, and get in there that afternoon. A look at them during the day, and after dark would finish up the day. and Yes, the KOA would be a great place to stay there.

Thanks

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
DC must see for me...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museum_of_American_History

Kermit the Frog and the Ruby Slippers live here along with the original star spangled banner.

https://museum.archives.gov/founding-documents

All the founding documents, it will be a great memory as they grow up.

We have 3 days set aside to do DC. There is just so much there. 3 Smithsonian museums, Holocaust Museum, Arlington, changing of the guard, Mt Vernon, the National Mall... Library of Congress, just so much...

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve been there a bunch, Arlington, changing of the guard and those top my list.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
yeah, I want to give these children a real appreciation for the price some paid that they can live free. They sure aren't going to learn it in a public school setting

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
yeah, I want to give these children a real appreciation for the price some paid that they can live free. They sure aren't going to learn it in a public school setting

The stops I provided plus a walk around the mall hits all the war memorials.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Samsam is talking about seeing the Air and Space Museum. I want to make sure we hit all the spots we can in DC, but not make it so rushed that they feel like there isn't any time for fun stuff.

I may take the over to Grand Central Station to eat lunch in the food court.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have never driven thru Canada. I know I can't carry a gun thru there, but what else do I need to have with the grand children, as far as ID?