4wt or 5wt outfit?

McHeath

I'm starting to get back into fly fishing. Currently all of my fishing is targeting trout, but I'd really like to go after shoal bass one day. I feel a 4wt will provide more excitement for the trout, but unsure if it will handle shoalies or smallies.
What rod weight would yall recommend for this? I'm looking into purchasing an Orvis Clearwater outfit.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I use a 5-6 wt for shoal bass. I`ve caught a couple on my 3wt that hit a bream bug, and they give it a fit.

boissage

If you are primarily going to target trout, then go with the 4 wt. It will handle most shoal bass that you will catch on the upper Flint. If your primary target is bass, then I would go with the 6 wt. It will handle the heavier flies that you will want to use.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Or, get two. :) My favorite setups are a 3 wt for trout, and a 7 weight for river smallmouth, basically the same as shoalies. A 4 weight will handle a bass, but it's a lot harder to cast big weighted flies or bass bugs with it. I have a TFO 7 wt that handles really good but didn't cost much at all.

almoore

If all your fishing is targeting trout, I'd go with the 4 weight if you're fishing smaller streams, a 5 weight if your fishing the Hooch tailwater or other bigger water, particularly if you are throwing an indicator, and weight or multiple weighted nymphs. If you're only fishing mountain bluelines, then a 3 weight would do. Worry about shoal and smallmouth bass when you actually fish for them regularly. Then you'll want a heavier rod - 6 or above. If you are going to bass occasionally in the meantime, a 5 weight will be more useful than a 4 weight. It's more what you need to effectively fish (casting, mending, presenting, etc.) than fighting the fish you hook. You can handle pretty much any trout or bass you'll hook with any of these rods

flyrod444

If I had to pick one rod to fish for both it would be a 9' 5wt. It's not perfect for either but will be the best around choice. You can land large fish on a light rod but casting large wind resistent bass bugs with them is difficult. I have a 9' 5wt clearwater rod for my clients to use and it is a good rod.