5.56 or .223 Ammo For Hogs

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My gun should be about ready. I can't remember the rate of twist. I do want to shoot the heaviest, readily available bullet that I can find. I'm pretty certain it's a 1:7 or 1:8. The 62gr is what I see the most in JHP or SP. I see the HP is available as well... just never been a fan of the HP or ballistic tip while deer hunting with only one exception - Federal Match King -- Used to be $45 a box, but boy did it perform. Found out my .308 likes the Federal (blue box) Trophy exactly the same at about $20 a box. Back to the 5.56 ---- I'll have to look at the 62gr vs the 75gr when I get the gun back. Glad to hear the HP perform well though.
Look on your barrel and the twist rate is probably stamped somewhere

27metalman

I remember seeing the stamp on the barrel... just can't remember what it reads. I should be getting gun back any day now.

eavega

The hogs may not be bulletproof, but in case you've never seen it, here is the shield on a 180 Lb boar I shot this weekend. For reference my finger is 2 inches to the middle knuckle, so that's about as thick as it got. Traditional boiler room shot may or may not get it done on these beasts using a 55 gr bullet.PXL_20210123_194116193.jpg

hambone76

I bought some called Hog Hammer...never shot a hog. May just be a name but I thought they sounded cool:)
I’ve shot quite a few pigs and deer with that ammo in 300 Blackout and it puts them down with one shot. The name is just clever marketing, but they live up to the hype.
For .223 on pigs I’d go with a Barnes TSX bullet or something that’s bonded.

Okie Hog

Killed a bunch of hogs using the military M193 55 grain ball ammo. Most were shot with my CZ 527 rifle. Almost all were shot at <100 yards. The bullet penetrates about 6", yaws and fragments; tearing up the lungs and heart.

i'v also killed hogs with reloads using the 53 grain Barnes Triple shock bullet. It also works very well.

27metalman

Got my gun back... It's a 1:7. So, it'll shoot the heavier bullets well from what I'm reading. Those are harder to find and pricing is thru the roof on those things right now. Getting a little better, but still - $1.40 and higher a round??? I see where you can get the FMJ 55gr for around $0.75 and sometimes a little cheaper, but still, ammo out of sight these days --- getting better though.

hambone76

The hogs may not be bulletproof, but in case you've never seen it, here is the shield on a 180 Lb boar I shot this weekend. For reference my finger is 2 inches to the middle knuckle, so that's about as thick as it got. Traditional boiler room shot may or may not get it done on these beasts using a 55 gr bullet.View attachment 1062836
I’d agree with that.
I was helping my buddy cape out a big boar (300#+)that he shot and we found a few of his .223 bullets that stopped between the shield and the chest cavity wall. They were soft-point projectiles. He switched to bonded projectiles after that.