5-Day WALLEYE ROUNDUp and Awards Banquet ...

Anyone interested in a 5-Day Walleye RoundUp and Big Fish Awards Banquet?

There are several lakes in both Georgia and South Carolina that now hold a number of record Walleye ... they just take a few days to catch them ... that's why a lot of you that drive and fish one day are missing out on the scouting and the color pattern elimination process ... that it takes to get them.

Currently I am working on hosting a 5-Day Walleye RoundUp ending with a Cash Awards Banquet. To include Educational Seminars each day ... It would be open to all Georgia and South Carolina Lakes.

This would most likely break both State records while GA and South Carolina are under 12lbs there are a plethora of fish in these lakes that hold a number of 12-16+ lbs.

It would be in May or June of 2015.

Just trying to get some feed back to see if there is enough interest for this type of a event.

Last edited:

lcookie

Neither work nor the wife will allow me 5 days of uncontested fishing. This does sound interesting. I would fish part of it if it rolled into the weekend. The seminars sound good to. I'm interested FWIW.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
yep... 5 days are impossible, but if it were a friday - Sunday deal...

might be more interest that way

Yes it will include the Weekend .. and only need one fish to Weigh-In. There will be Daily big fish and Biggest Fish over all Awards.

Last edited:

crackerdave

Sounds fun,but I fish from a kayak or a rowboat.Don't know much about walleye,but I do know it's cold in them thar hills!
I'd like to try walleye this spring,though.May or June should be nice and warm for this geezer.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I think he is talking about doing this in May or June. It would be lots warmer then. Maybe you would freeze da tushie off then Dave.

crackerdave

I think he is talking about doing this in May or June. It would be lots warmer then. Maybe you would freeze da tushie off then Dave.

Natives hunted whales out of kayaks! I guess I could stand May or June.:rofl:
I'll snag me a twenty pound walleye,and make like the Old Man and the Sea....sleigh ride!!!

dragonfly

Most the bigger fish are caught during spawning from what I have been told. And that is about March up the rivers on Lanier. Not sure about the other lakes. But it would be a good excuse to get out on the water for a few days.

I used to catch walleyes in Iowa and Minnesota as a kid back in the late 40s and 50s. I have caught a couple in Lanier, but that was years ago as well. I am just now getting psyched up to try to catch some again. Fished a few days this fall w/o any luck. But I got a new sonar unit that is a bit better than my 6 year old one.

Sounds like fun. Let us know if any thing develops over the spring.
DF:D

I found that May/June is the best time to catch them .. It's when I catch the Most ... However Feb March will have the biggest fish pre spawn opportunity ... there will be a better and more even playing field with more fish being caught after the spawn.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Natives hunted whales out of kayaks! I guess I could stand May or June.:rofl:
I'll snag me a twenty pound walleye,and make like the Old Man and the Sea....sleigh ride!!!

Dave from what I've seen on the TV you wont have to worry about that sleigh ride!!!

20lbs would be asking for a lot for Walleye down south ... my guess is there are a number of 12-16lb pre-spawn and will be 10-13lb after enough to break SC & GA records

This is a 8.5 lb 26" Eye ... that was caught last year in May .. that was post spawn ... had I caught her in Feb/March pre-spawn she may have been 11 lbs.

Attachments

• 8pound6oz.jpg
    8pound6oz.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 716

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
nice fish. Biggest I have boated is 5-1/2 lbs... but that was on 4lb test line. In retrospect, I should have had it weighed and the line certified. It might have been a line record here in Georgia

crackerdave

I haven't fished walleye country since back in the 70's,and have never caught one.I read a good thread here about it...thanks to that,I know more about it than I did.Isn't it a fish that bites at night?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Dave, they bite in low light conditions. the best time to fish for them is an hour before daylight til the sun is up good, or just before twilight til good and dark. You can fish totally at night, but you don't have too.

In my experience, the twilight time seems to work best. But some folks swear by the early morning bite.