5 W 20 oil question.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I accept that I may be over thinking this.
My 2013 F150 specs 5w20 oil. I have always used it. After 100k do y’all think it still needs the thinner oil or would something a little heavier be better?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Here's how it was explained to me, when I put a new engine in my '08 5.4...

In the three valve 5.4, the holes that provide oil to the valve train and the head are only 3mm, keeping in mind that a BB is 4.5mm.

It doesn't take much to gunge up a 3mm hole, and destroy an engine...I saw the holes on my blown engine, and they did look TINY.

Supposedly, the oil passages on my reman engine were drilled out to 6mm, and it had a high-flow oil pump installed.

I was told that the tiny passages were the reason that Ford spec-ed it for 5wt oil.

Is all this true? I don't know, but it made sense to me, and I bought the new engine.

Based purely on the TINY oil passages that I SAW with my own eyes on the blown motor, I would advise sticking with the thin oil.

Maybe one of our mechanic types can verify or discredit my tale...

35 Whelen

I use synthetic 5w 20 high mileage in my 2001 Mazda B3000 (Ford Ranger with a Mazda name plate) that has 240,000 miles. No problems.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I went through this thought process a few years back as well. Ford released a Technical Service Bulletin recommending 5W-20 on new, and older vehicles just about across the board. This recommendation was also made "retroactive" to vehicles made starting in 1993 model year. This included my 1995 E-150 with the 5.8L V-8.
Ford TSB 5W-20

There was another document that discussed Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 as exceeding performance specifications and superseding all prior weight/viscosity groups. It is an excellent value if you buy it at Wal Mart in the jugs. (Too bad I fired Wal Mart...).

OleCountryBoy

I went through this thought process a few years back as well. Ford released a Technical Service Bulletin recommending 5W-20 on new, and older vehicles just about across the board. This recommendation was also made "retroactive" to vehicles made starting in 1993 model year. This included my 1995 E-150 with the 5.8L V-8.
Ford TSB 5W-20

There was another document that discussed Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 as exceeding performance specifications and superseding all prior weight/viscosity groups. It is an excellent value if you buy it at Wal Mart in the jugs. (Too bad I fired Wal Mart...).

I've got a 2012 SCREW F-150 5.0...I've changed the oil myself since new, and only use Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend and Fram Filters. I'd fire Walmart too, but Autoparts stores are a rip off on Oil/Filters, a 5qt jug is $19 at Walmart and $32 at Advanced Auto.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
I've got a 2012 SCREW F-150 5.0...I've changed the oil myself since new, and only use Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic Blend and Fram Filters. I'd fire Walmart too, but Autoparts stores are a rip off on Oil/Filters, a 5qt jug is $19 at Walmart and $32 at Advanced Auto.
Ask them to price match, I know Orileys will!!!

Lukikus2

I got a 84 350 I still put 10w40 in. A 03 305 that gets 10w30 and I put synthetic in it. A 5.7 hemi that calls for 5w20 synthetic. Different strokes :)

Had a straight six in a van. Was buying oil by the case. Saw some Virgin motor oil in a gas station. Guy said it was thick as molasses. Bought all of them. :ROFLMAO:

Ray357

AWOL
I accept that I may be over thinking this.
My 2013 F150 specs 5w20 oil. I have always used it. After 100k do y’all think it still needs the thinner oil or would something a little heavier be better?
Stay with 5w20 or even 0w20. Zero 20 is jam up oil because it can only be made from premium base stocks. The oil returns can't return the thicker oils fast enough and a 20w oil control ring works best with 20w.

Ray357

AWOL
You gotta watch Fram. They have some good filters, but their regular orange ones are pure garbage. Cut one open.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all the input. Sticking with 5w20. !!!!

Last edited:

transfixer

If you're not having oil consumption issues I"d stick with it, the manufacturers aren't entirely truthful when they say the reason for lower viscosity oils now, its true tolerances are closer , and thinner oil lubes better on cold starts, but the main reason they went to thinner oils is to get the maximum fuel mileage, thinner oil flows better, less resistance, using less energy to turn moving parts,,,

EVERYTHING manufacturers change now has two main reasons, either better mileage numbers so they can comply with CAFE standards,,, or lower cost in manufacturing,,, that usually doesn't translate to the benefit of consumers,,

LilasCook

Hi...Motor assurance from oil isn't about thick or dainty. It is about oil pressure. Oil pressure doesn't actually mean oil pressure. Since oil stream can't be estimated in a motor, it is in a roundabout way estimated as oil pressure. High oil pressure doesn't actually mean high oil stream. It may mean something stopped up. Like obstruction.

Take a gander at your application prior to choosing an evaluation. On the off chance that it is driving in Singapore. 5W20 is acceptable. Quick stream at surrounding temperature. Pleasant 20wt consistency at working. Most excursions don't keep going long and most rates don't make your motor temperature take off. Motor runs cooler.

On the off chance that for reasons unknown you arranged a get-away to Malaysia and need to give to their devastated police power, utilize a 10W30.

On the off chance that you for reasons unknown got a license to tow your extravagance yacht to the marina consistently, utilize a 5W40.

gerber viewer

Last edited:

7 point

My 04 f150 calls for 5w20 I've been running 5w30 max life in it for a few years now .