50 grain Pyrodex pellets

hoffy

Has anyone chronographed their .50 cal. front stuffer.
2 pellet velocity vs. 3 pellet velocity??? I am shooting 240 grain .429” hollowpoint
I haven’t checked my velocity and my kid is using my chrony.

Pat Tria

I don't know the velocity difference in 2 vs 3 pyrodex pellets but this year I'm going to start using 3 because I have not seen an exit wound in the last several deer I shot with 2.

JR924

Found this article on 150 vs 100 grain but pyrodex pellets were not tested. The velocity gain was higher than I expected between the 2 loads but still small. In my Knight, I found the 150 grain load leaves a lot of fouling which I am told that some of that is unburnt powder. Accuracy is the key instead of velocity. For my Knight, 120 grains 777 is the most accurate so I switched to loose.

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/b...ail-deer/muzzleloader-loads-100-vs-150-grains

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know the velocity difference in 2 vs 3 pyrodex pellets but this year I'm going to start using 3 because I have not seen an exit wound in the last several deer I shot with 2.
I have shot a lot of deer with 90 grains of loose pyrodex and solid lead 350-grain bullets, like dozens of them. The only one without an exit wound was shot through longways, and the bullet hit between the neck and shoulder, went all the way through the deer longways, and was stuck under the skin on the back ham. I doubt if there is a muzzleloader capable of burning 150 grains of powder. A lot of it will be wasted. The loose stuff is much better than the pellets, IMO.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The pellets are sold for their convenience of use only. Black powder guns are fun to shoot. Get some loose powder and an adjustable powder measure, go to the range and starting at about 70 grains of powder work upward and see what your rifle and projectile do. You will learn a lot and have fun doing it.