6.5 Grendel Question

krizia829

So I have a 6.5 Grendel that I will be taking to the woods at the end of the month. My 30-06 is out of commission this year due to no ammo (Never making that mistake again!)..

And I will have my Ruger 44 Carbine for the stands with closer shot opportunities..

Anyone here have experience deer hunting and taking a shot about 150-300 yards with a Grendel? How much of a drop if zeroed to 100yds? I will be using Hornady Black 123gr ELD Match (all that I can find)

I am confident in my shooting, I just don't know too much about the caliber and its power for deer at that distance. We have a stand on a power line with quite a bit of distance that always seems to be a successful spot for bucks and I want to make sure I don't regret taking the shot. What common caliber can closely relate to the 6.5 Grendel?

Thanks!

tcward

So I have a 6.5 Grendel that I will be taking to the woods at the end of the month. My 30-06 is out of commission this year due to no ammo (Never making that mistake again!)..

And I will have my Ruger 44 Carbine for the stands with closer shot opportunities..

Anyone here have experience deer hunting and taking a shot about 150-300 yards with a Grendel? How much of a drop if zeroed to 100yds? I will be using Hornady Black 123gr ELD Match (all that I can find)

I am confident in my shooting, I just don't know too much about the caliber and its power for deer at that distance. We have a stand on a power line with quite a bit of distance that always seems to be a successful spot for bucks and I want to make sure I don't regret taking the shot. What common caliber can closely relate to the 6.5 Grendel?

Thanks!
From the Hornady website. I’d say up to 300 you are good. The match bullet is not a “hunting” bullet but have some friends that use it and say it does the job. The SST would be a better choice IMO.86AF080C-C00A-49F0-8CD7-974EC9D4C0D9.png

sleepr71

0-250 = dead center hold,if sighted 2” high at 100. At 300 I hold on the Spine. At 350 I hold 6” over. SST is a hunting bullet..not so sure about that ELD opening up way out,due to lack of velocity ???

krizia829

0-250 = dead center hold,if sighted 2” high at 100. At 300 I hold on the Spine. At 350 I hold 6” over. SST is a hunting bullet..not so sure about that ELD opening up way out,due to lack of velocity ???
Thank you! That should help!

The Rodney

Go to the range! If you do your part the bullet will do his. I hate that you're having to use your back up gun but that's why I had all these guys teach me about reloading, lol

Dub

No ammo for your main rifle (.30’06) and nothing but target-grade ammo for a backup rifle that you have not used……that is a bad situation.

Maybe just sticking with the tried and true .44 and limiting your shot distance is better option than last minute study of theoretical charts of match ammo in unfamiliar gun.

Peace of mind and comfort in the stands knowing you will make clean kills will make for more enjoyable hunts.

Forget about graphs, substitute match ammo, unfamiliar guns, etc.

Use known good. Hunt within your limitations this year and get prepared for next year well ahead of time.

krizia829

Go to the range! If you do your part the bullet will do his. I hate that you're having to use your back up gun but that's why I had all these guys teach me about reloading, lol
My local range only goes out to 100 yards.. Nowhere in this horrible city of Miami to shoot past that! lol there's one range in Homestead that goes out to 500 but it's far from home, expensive and always packed! Lol trust me, I have learned my lesson this year!

krizia829

No ammo for your main rifle (.30’06) and nothing but target-grade ammo for a backup rifle that you have not used……that is a bad situation.

Maybe just sticking with the tried and true .44 and limiting your shot distance is better option than last minute study of theoretical charts of match ammo in unfamiliar gun.

Peace of mind and comfort in the stands knowing you will make clean kills will make for more enjoyable hunts.

Forget about graphs, substitute match ammo, unfamiliar guns, etc.

Use known good. Hunt within your limitations this year and get prepared for next year well ahead of time.

I agree 100%! I don't think I will find a caliber that I'm more comfortable with than my trusty 30-06. Hard lesson learned for this year!

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I agree 100%! I don't think I will find a caliber that I'm more comfortable with than my trusty 30-06. Hard lesson learned for this year!

You aren’t alone.

I have pushed off hunts and whole seasons because I wasn’t prepared (various reasons) and knew that scrambling to force something would lead to frustration, aggravation or injury.

My delays weren’t ammo related so much as not making hunting a priority until too late in the year.

menhadenman

Grendel is a great round and ELDM will do great. Lots of guys use target bullets for hunting. My daughter got her first deer with a Grendel on youth weekend. Small deer at 50ish yds but it dumped in its tracks. If you come by union county I’ve got 30-06 and 6.5 G I would share for pre-rona prices.

CD8DF29D-22E5-41CE-8E74-3C0A6E96AFB4.jpeg

menhadenman

From the Hornady website. I’d say up to 300 you are good. The match bullet is not a “hunting” bullet but have some friends that use it and say it does the job. The SST would be a better choice IMO.View attachment 1110564

That’s it - 1200 lbs and 2k+ FPS at 300 yards = dead deer. Pretty close to a 243 and you probably wouldn’t hesitate with that cartridge at 300 yds.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/243-win-100-gr-interlock-btsp-american-whitetail#!/

krizia829

do you have any brass fired in your rifle?
Nope! It's one of my AR builds. Not 1 round through it yet! I am taking it to the range this week to sight in. Clean as a whistle!

krizia829

Grendel is a great round and ELDM will do great. Lots of guys use target bullets for hunting. My daughter got her first deer with a Grendel on youth weekend. Small deer at 50ish yds but it dumped in its tracks. If you come by union county I’ve got 30-06 and 6.5 G I would share for pre-rona prices.

View attachment 1110717
Wow!! She did a great job!! Congrats to her! Sweet shot! Boosted my confidence quite a bit seeing this! Thank you!