6.5 Grendel Question

SC Hunter

I was told long long ago to buy a box or 2 of ammo every week for guns you own. 1 week 1 caliber the next another. I started that when I was 20 years old and at 31 I have enough ammo to last me the rest of my deer seasons. I couldn't have a rifle I only own 1 or 2 boxes of ammo for.

krizia829

I was gifted a 6.5G upper from PSA and I'm having trouble getting it to group shooting the Hornady 123 SST's. Been through three boxes of the Hornady's, all the same lot #. I've tried three different sets of rings and scopes. Lower has a LaRue trigger and came from a gun that would do half inch groups all day with my reloads. I'm at my wits end with this AR. Looking at converting it to the 6ARC.
No way! Dang that has me curious to see how mine do. How big of a group are you shooting and how far?

Stroker

No way! Dang that has me curious to see how mine do. How big of a group are you shooting and how far?

I use one half of a large pizza box as a backer with a 2" stick on dot in the center, it will keep them in the pizza box. 100 yards from a bench.

sleepr71

Strange isn’t it? If you can snag some fusions let me know how they do.

I have yet to find any Fusions for 6.5G. If any of you stumble across any online,will you PM me & send the link,please.! As far as that PSA upper not grouping…mine groups Hornady SST’s into a 1” group at 100 IF I do my part. It’s frustrating,I know. I’m sure that IF Ammo was available…you could find a factory round that it likes!

B. White

Very interesting test between Hornady match & hunting bullets.

I have shot a handful of deer with the identical ELDM load they are playing with. All exited and hit the ground where they stood except one. He was in a field and dropped off over the hill. I just drove up to the white belly and didn't check blood to be sure, but 15-20 yds is my estimate. Using them again this year, since I had 50 loaded up and I haven't fully set back up my bench since moving in the spring. End result was not a whole lot difference from what I have had with Win. 150 gr. soft points in my 06. I have a couple of boxes of ELDX, but have not loaded any yet.

I have only shot deer with the grendel using speer pro hunters, but I would have no problem using the eldm, if I had them. I think they will hold together fine at the lower velocity. Just need to make sure you can hit them in the boiler room.

Dub

Just need to make sure you can hit them in the boiler room.

I like your entire reply.....but that last sentence is what I need to work on most of all.

Slowing down and getting on that good placement......and....following through the shot.

Dub

So I have a 6.5 Grendel that I will be taking to the woods at the end of the month. My 30-06 is out of commission this year due to no ammo (Never making that mistake again!)..

And I will have my Ruger 44 Carbine for the stands with closer shot opportunities..

Anyone here have experience deer hunting and taking a shot about 150-300 yards with a Grendel? How much of a drop if zeroed to 100yds? I will be using Hornady Black 123gr ELD Match (all that I can find)

I am confident in my shooting, I just don't know too much about the caliber and its power for deer at that distance. We have a stand on a power line with quite a bit of distance that always seems to be a successful spot for bucks and I want to make sure I don't regret taking the shot. What common caliber can closely relate to the 6.5 Grendel?

Thanks!

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...oducts_id/411560379&utm_campaign=BGSDSA110421

411560379_1.jpg

fatboyslick

So I have a 6.5 Grendel that I will be taking to the woods at the end of the month. My 30-06 is out of commission this year due to no ammo (Never making that mistake again!)..

And I will have my Ruger 44 Carbine for the stands with closer shot opportunities..

Anyone here have experience deer hunting and taking a shot about 150-300 yards with a Grendel? How much of a drop if zeroed to 100yds? I will be using Hornady Black 123gr ELD Match (all that I can find)

I am confident in my shooting, I just don't know too much about the caliber and its power for deer at that distance. We have a stand on a power line with quite a bit of distance that always seems to be a successful spot for bucks and I want to make sure I don't regret taking the shot. What common caliber can closely relate to the 6.5 Grendel?

Thanks!
This is an older thread and you may no longer need the info but...
I shot a doe this weekend with the 6.5 Grendel Hornady Black ELD match ammo at about 75 yards. I only found a little blood where the deer was standing when I shot, but she only ran about 20 yards so I could see her lying dead when I got to the place she was originally standing. I was kind of disappointed about the lack of a good blood trail and I didn't understand why I couldn't find much blood because the bullet made a clean pass through. But when I gutted the deer I discovered that the bullet had completely destroyed her heart. The only part of the heart that wasn't ripped to shreds was the bottom 1/4th. I am assuming here, but I think when I shot the bullet destroyed the heart and it quit pumping right then, so no blood pressure, therefore no blood being pumped out of an open wound onto the ground, therefore minimal blood trail. I guess I can't complain about terminal performance of the bullet when the deer only went 15-20 yards.

tcward

This is an older thread and you may no longer need the info but...
I shot a doe this weekend with the 6.5 Grendel Hornady Black ELD match ammo at about 75 yards. I only found a little blood where the deer was standing when I shot, but she only ran about 20 yards so I could see her lying dead when I got to the place she was originally standing. I was kind of disappointed about the lack of a good blood trail and I didn't understand why I couldn't find much blood because the bullet made a clean pass through. But when I gutted the deer I discovered that the bullet had completely destroyed her heart. The only part of the heart that wasn't ripped to shreds was the bottom 1/4th. I am assuming here, but I think when I shot the bullet destroyed the heart and it quit pumping right then, so no blood pressure, therefore no blood being pumped out of an open wound onto the ground, therefore minimal blood trail. I guess I can't complain about terminal performance of the bullet when the deer only went 15-20 yards.
Match ammo scares me for deer hunting. Some have good results but I don’t like it.

rosewood

Match ammo scares me for deer hunting. Some have good results but I don’t like it.
Some open tip hollow point match ammo won't open up at all. Will act just like a FMJ on game. Others will expand and function well. Some will expand violently. It really depends on the bullet and velocity. There is reason manufactures make hunting bullets and match bullets. Takes the question out of the equation.

Rosewood

rosewood

I wasn't crazy about the idea of using it either, but I can't find small rifle primers and the only loaded ammo I could get my hands on is Hornady Black ELD match.
Well, sometimes you gotta use what you can get...

Rosewood