6 LB Lanier walleye

Grey Ghost

I'm glad they taste so good. Not to insult the fish but she fought like a 6 lb water logged stick.

IMG_0244_zps3azxjmtu.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Where you targeting walleye, or just luck of the draw?

I love to catch those things, but it can be mighty tough fishing

LTZ25

That's a great Lanier walleye !!! Up north those boys cull that size fish , I bet there's a lot of them in Lanier . That should be a great meal .

Scout'nStripers

Very nice Grey Ghost. Congrats. My guess is that's not the first Lanier Walleye you've eaten.:cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a big ol' walleye. I have never caught one that big in thirty years of targeting them and catching thousands of them. Y'all have bigger walleye on average down there than we do for sure. And no, they are not hard fighters. But, boy, they are delicious.

fishOn01

Nice fish, would you share if you were targeting walleye or was it accident? Great eats! Enjoy ......

"Fish on " Suwanee

lampern

That's a big ol' walleye. I have never caught one that big in thirty years of targeting them and catching thousands of them. Y'all have bigger walleye on average down there than we do for sure. And no, they are not hard fighters. But, boy, they are delicious.

Why is that, you think?

I know at Lake James, NC a giant walleye is considered 4-5 lbs and most fish seem to be less than 15 inches.

A few years ago I caught a 7-4 in Lanier and it fought like yours but tasted great. I called the DNR to find out the Lanier record and it was 8-3 at the time. I know it's not a fact unless there's a picture but it's on my home computer and I'm 500 miles from there. I caught it on a spoon fishing for bass. I catch a few each year on a spoon.

Cmp1

BANNED
A few years ago I caught a 7-4 in Lanier and it fought like yours but tasted great. I called the DNR to find out the Lanier record and it was 8-3 at the time. I know it's not a fact unless there's a picture but it's on my home computer and I'm 500 miles from there. I caught it on a spoon fishing for bass. I catch a few each year on a spoon.

IMHO,,,, why would you keep it,,,, the big ones spawn the best,,,, besides the small ones taste better,,,, gotta think of the future,,,, just saying,,,,

beanutputter

IMHO,,,, why would you keep it,,,, the big ones spawn the best,,,, besides the small ones taste better,,,, gotta think of the future,,,, just saying,,,,

Cause he wanted to. I fish Lanier hard and haven't gotten one yet. you can bet the first one I catch will hit the oil. Not gonna pass on the "best eattin fish in fresh water"

across the river

It doesn't matter if he keeps it or not. Blueback herring impacts the walleye population not a person keeping one here or there. If every person that caught one in Lanier through it back, it wouldn't matter. Keep em and eat, it won't matter a bit.

Cmp1

BANNED
It doesn't matter if he keeps it or not. Blueback herring impacts the walleye population not a person keeping one here or there. If every person that caught one in Lanier through it back, it wouldn't matter. Keep em and eat, it won't matter a bit.

Yeah,,,, I was just saying,,,, up here, no issue,,,, down there,,,, probably not as many big ones,,,, I have caught many walleye,,,, but I don't target them, I'm pretty much catch and release anyway with LMs, smallies, Northerns, etc....

lampern

The blue back herring fish in Lake Lanier prevent succesfull spawning of the walleye population.

Keeping a female full of eggs does not impact the population much.

Rabun

"The blue back herring fish in Lake Lanier prevent succesfull spawning of the walleye population."

Why would BB's in the lake prevent the spawn...just curious?

Backlasher82

"The blue back herring fish in Lake Lanier prevent succesfull spawning of the walleye population."

Why would BB's in the lake prevent the spawn...just curious?

Bluebacks don't prevent the spawn but they do eat fish eggs.