60" CMP & Dirt / Rock Work - Wilkes Co.

Tight Lines

Hey -- not sure where to post this, but I'm needing to repair a creek crossing...we have a 36" CMP that is washed out, and I would like to find a piece of 10' 60" CMP (don't need new can be used) and someone to place it, grade it, and then dump some rock for a head wall...

Anyone in or around Wilkes Co. know anyone that could do that kind of work? Here is a pic of the creek...the current CMP is visible on the right...

I don't want to spend a fortune on this obviously...

Any thoughts are welcome!

IMAG1048-100-1048.jpg

Jim Boyd

We did this last year with a piece (24” maybe) and it is working fine.

Any local contractor should be able to help you.

Good luck!

Tight Lines

Thanks Jim. I'm not sure how high the creek gets, but the 36" that is there doesn't seem to be sufficient...apparently it got over the crossing and out of the banks, and the lack of rock at the headwall allowed it to wash out...how much flow do you have at peak in yours?

Jim Boyd

Thanks Jim. I'm not sure how high the creek gets, but the 36" that is there doesn't seem to be sufficient...apparently it got over the crossing and out of the banks, and the lack of rock at the headwall allowed it to wash out...how much flow do you have at peak in yours?

Man I don’t really know. It is not really a creek and is actually the run off from about 45 acres of tillable - and we may actually get some run off from a tillable field on the other side of a hedgerow - off of our farm.

I would say that bigger is better and is largely good insurance.

Hope you get it done well!

Tight Lines

I figure a 60" 10' CMP is about $800 and a smaller one isn't that much less...and we can probably use the other one as an overflow/secondary...it is going to be hard to get done this year I suspect but trying...have to get everyone to chip in and ideally need to find someone that can source the CMP and quote it...

JROESEL

Look up the plastic pipe, it’s smooth on the interior, I bought a couple pieces 24”/20’
For 120 a piece, so it might be cheaper then the metal and you don’t have to worry about it rusting away, I have one piece about 10” below the surface, we drove dump trucks on it loaded with 18.5 tons of gravel and it didn’t even bend

Tight Lines

I'm not sure we could get 20' in there without some tree clearing and a lot of dirt work...thanks for all the inputs though I hadn't considered that it might need to be longer...

Tight Lines

It usually takes a 20 foot stick for a road. Last thing you want its to collapse the end and have to redo it a 3rd time.

Sounds good...thanks for the advice...I think a ford crossing is really the best thing, but we can't get the lime trucks across that...just the tractors and UTVs...

pse hunter

Superior grading out of Elberton may come out to Wilkes
their number is 706-680-3890 you can check..