6mm Dasher

bullgator

doesn't the Alpha brass have the shortest neck compared to fire formed Lapua and Norma?
I would imagine so.
Norma is a longer neck by design and a separate animal in its own because of that. Norma brass shouldn’t fit in a standard Dasher chamber. I haven’t used 6br Lapua so no answers there from me. I believe Pederson is now making Dasher and I’d like to grab some of those to compare.

bullgator

Looks like Peterson is 1.53” just like the Alpha. Necks have to be the same.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the neck on the Alpha and Peterson is shorter than the Norma or fire formed isn't it? It will leave a wide carbon ring in front of the case if it wasn't reamed for the shorter necked brass. We found out that it works ok (second gun) but works better when reamed with a shorter neck reamer we discovered like the Alpha...at 100 yards. He had to set things back about .060 for the Alpha reamer to clean things up. IIRC is is about a .030 difference...instead of leaving a .020 carbon ring it is closer to .050. It dropped below .25 anyway...I just don't know exactly how much ATM. I still don't think the bullet has enough time to stabilize @ 100 so they should be a little tighter at 400 and beyond since they are so long....just am opinion...not fact involved really. I don't think it will stretch as far as your looking for if I understand what you are saying.

bullgator

The Norma version has a longer neck for sure and they weren’t meant to be interchangeable. If you go Norma brass you need the longer reamer. The original Dasher is based on the 6br which ends up with the shorter necks. Norma put their version out there with the longer necks hoping the market would be drawn to it since it fixed the only issue perceived on the original.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the first gun was done with the Norma reamer along with the second that has since been corrected.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Just found 7 Rock Creek 1:7.5 5R 29” Heavy Varmint contour in stock. We just ordered 4 of then for the builds…. Hope that works well!

Reactions: Dub

bullgator

What bore

rmp

? Pretty sure he’s asking if .236” or .237”

Guessing those are coming from Greg Young. He’s good people. As far as I know, he only stocks cut rifled versions. Should do well.

rmp

What actions and barrels were used for the first 2 that have already been built?

Jester896

Senior Clown
I can't remember if the first one was on a Kauger or Remington Action. The second is on a Kauger Action from here in Hazlehurst, GA and I do believe both of the barrels were Kreiger he had in stock he uses for the first guys 6BRs.

The target pictures I have been posting are from the second rifle. It is getting a little tighter and faster after setting it back and using the Alpha Reamer.

Reactions: rmp

rmp

Nice.
I’d never heard of Kauger before this thread but they seem well put together. Used to pass through Hazlehurst regularly some years back. Unsuspecting place but seemed nice enough. I guess that’s true of many places. Traveling through sturgis SD, I found Mack Brothers and what an operation they have!

bullgator

I can't remember if the first one was on a Kauger or Remington Action. The second is on a Kauger Action from here in Hazlehurst, GA and I do believe both of the barrels were Kreiger he had in stock he uses for the first guys 6BRs.

The target pictures I have been posting are from the second rifle. It is getting a little tighter and faster after setting it back and using the Alpha Reamer.
My wife was wearing the Tshirt they gave her at the expo in October all day yesterday.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I’d never heard of Kauger before this thread but they seem well put together.

I hadn't either. I had heard at one point they did some work for Remington, however, I am not certain what it was. It does look good and is smooth. It is left hand load right hand eject.

My wife was wearing the Tshirt they gave her at the expo in October all day yesterday.

Alpha?

rmp

Left port, right eject makes sense. Seems like it would be very efficient. I like the drop ports as well.

If they did some work for remington, they probably wouldn't brag about it.

Last edited:

bullgator

I hadn't either. I had heard at one point they did some work for Remington, however, I am not certain what it was. It does look good and is smooth. It is left hand load right hand eject.

Alpha?
Kauger

rmp

I was just kind of looking for something that may work that wasn't 8-12 months out.

Always good to support the locals but if you're not aware, Lester Bruno, Ryan Pierce, Greg Young, and Greg Taylor keep a good selection of actions in the rotation. I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting at the moment.
Taylor is primarily a Borden guy IIRC.