7-30 Waters

davidf

i'm shooting a 120 grain btsp federal premium i'm just curious what other people are shooting. i don't reload so i stuck with factory ammo.

frankwright

That load should work well.
I have always loaded for mine and used the Sierra 130 gr SSP bullet which was designed to expand at the lower velocities of a Contender barrel.
Unfortunately, that bullet has been discontinued. It has always worked really well on deer for me, I have about 100 loaded so I should be good for a while.
I was told to switch to the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip when I need more bullets.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
I don't shoot a Waters but in my 7TCU which operates in the same velocity ranges as the Waters, I use 120 grain Nosler BTs and 120 grain Sierra Pro-hunters. Both work very well at those velocities.

Oldstick

i'm shooting a 120 grain btsp federal premium i'm just curious what other people are shooting. i don't reload so i stuck with factory ammo.

I think that is about it for the big name factory loads. Unless some of the smaller ammo loaders (GA Arms, etc) make some other choices for it???

kyhunter

I've got one of these in a contender. I pulled it out of the safe the other day and was thinking of hunting with it again. Its been about ten years since I've shot it where can I find ammo at?

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
kyhunter,

Most of the major internet stores (Midway, Midsouth, Cabelas, etc) should have ammo. As for local sources, I am not sure, but it will probably have to be a bigger store.

You could always start reloading. :)

Oldstick

I agree, having a 7-30 Waters is the perfect excuse for a basic reloading setup. You might even start with the inexpensive Lee hand press,dies and a set of the Lee powder scoops.

I have reloaded a many 7-30s with the Lee hand press, but that is about the largest rifle case I want to tackle with it. I've also done 308s and such but there is just not enough leverage to comfortably do brass that size and larger.

The 120 grain Nosler bullets (used in the Fed Premiums) are excellent but my favorite is the 139 gr Hornady flat point bullets for deer in my model 94.

Oldstick

I've got one of these in a contender. I pulled it out of the safe the other day and was thinking of hunting with it again. Its been about ten years since I've shot it where can I find ammo at?

Or you can trade it to me for something.... :):):cool:

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
fine caliber even in the "factory load" and last I saw there was only one factory load :shoot:

MR.BIGBUCK

Georgia-Arms.com sales 7-30 waters or did i shot the 140 gr and it was a bad dude. they sale all new ammo.

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
I load 140 gr Nosler Accubonds in mine. The gun loves them, but not the DEER.

Oldstick

I can vouch for the 140s also. The last handloads I made up were with the Hornady 139 gr flat points. Deer dropped right there on the spot with a heart shot. Haven't taken any with the 120s yet, but they shoot very accurate in my 24 " rifle.

Hoyt

I liked the 139gr. SST's in mine. I loaded them to max and always got full penetration. The SST's are also designed to expand at lower velocities.

gemihur

Federal ammunition offers two commercially available loads, both of them use 120 gr. bullets. Hornady has introduced a LEVERevolution load also in 120 gr.
I like the caliber but won't buy that stuff. I load 130 gr. just because ... shoots nice.
7-30 waters w target med.jpg

frankwright

Re reading the new post made me remember something from a year or two ago.
I have always shot reloads except for the very first two boxes of ammo I bought when I got my Contender.
Sighting in before a season I found out that the ammo that was loaded on reworked 30-30 cases that I had bought had loose bullets. Probably 75% of them. Some were 5-10 years old. All ammo loaded on 7-30 cases were fine.
To avoid any problems till I figured it out I bought 4 boxes of Federal Premium Vital Shok 120gr BTSP. It was accurate, almost as good as my reloads and I had good results on two deer that year. I think I got it at Sportsman's Guide!

Davexx1

I shoot the Federal factory loads in my 14" Contender. They shoot and perform very well on deer from my gun. Do a Google internet search for "7-30 ammo" and you will find plenty of the factory ammo available.

Dave

rosewood

Re reading the new post made me remember something from a year or two ago.
I have always shot reloads except for the very first two boxes of ammo I bought when I got my Contender.
Sighting in before a season I found out that the ammo that was loaded on reworked 30-30 cases that I had bought had loose bullets. Probably 75% of them. Some were 5-10 years old. All ammo loaded on 7-30 cases were fine.
To avoid any problems till I figured it out I bought 4 boxes of Federal Premium Vital Shok 120gr BTSP. It was accurate, almost as good as my reloads and I had good results on two deer that year. I think I got it at Sportsman's Guide!

Zombie thread. But I will play.

I have only ever used reformed 30-30 brass. After I run them through the die, I anneal them with a propane torch, socket in a drill and bowl of water. Then fireform and am good to go. Have never had one come loose. But I also use the Lee factory crimp die for the 7mm-08 on it. Works perfect.

That is interesting, didn't know Hornady was loading it.
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/7-30-waters-120-gr-ftx-leverevolution#!/

Rosewood

rosewood

On the note of available bullets. Rumor is someone called Hornady and asked them about the 120 SSP that they discontinued for the 7-30 Contender and they said the 7mm Vmax 120 grain is the same construction as the 120 SSP and expands at the same velocities for those that reload.

Rosewood