7.62 x 39 Hunting Ammo ??

sleepr71

I’m either going to get off my behind & accurize my SKS,or buy a dedicated 7.62 x 39 AR upper. I have a ton of ammo,but most of it is Golden Tiger & other “budget” ammo. What have you guys found to be good quality,hunting ammo(SP/HP) in this caliber.? I like the caliber,and my wife can handle the recoil level (she’s had neck surgery). She likes my little SKS paratrooper & says it’s not near as loud as an AR. I tend to agree on that. I haven’t studied energy levels..but At 2400 FPS..I’d imagine what 200-250 yds would be max effective range on a deer/hog?

sleepr71

I like pass through shots,for a better blood trail. Any brands of ammo that expand,yet retain enough ummph to zip through?

transfixer

I've got an AK, a paratrooper sks, and a 16in barreled AR, I haven't taken anything with any of them as of yet, but any load using the Hornady sst's should be fine, but you may not get a complete pass through ?

There is a guy on YT that hunts hogs in Texas predominately with a 7.62x39 Ar, and he uses the wolf or Tula hp rounds, says they put em down just fine, there are some videos on YT where some guy has tested those rounds in Ballistic Gelatin, and the hp rounds do pretty well, some expand, some fragment, but the rear portion usually stays together so it should pass on thru,

I wouldn't want to push a shot much past 100yds personally, maybe 150 max, not unless I was using premium ammo or handloads, I plan on using my AR at no more than 100-125yds.

sleepr71

I did a little online reading this afternoon...and I see lots of mixed reviews about the Wolf,and other budget soft points. Most said they don’t expand all that great. Probably need more velocity. I will look into the Federal Fusions & Hornady rounds. I’m assuming they are around $20/box & “should” be a little more consistent + accurate than the budget stuff like Tula,Wolf,etc. I think I have some old Chinese rounds,in yellow boxes. It was supposed to be the top of the heap as far as Military 7.62 x 39 ammo goes. Can’t remember if it’s HP,or FMJ tho.

ditchdoc24

I use PRVI Partizan 123grain SP in my AR. Works great so far. I've killed hogs and varmints with it and have zero complaints. Planning on trying to kill a deer with it this year.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have killed several deer, hogs, coyotes, and other critters with my 7.62x39 AR, and with my old SKS, too. In my experience, the Russian surplus softpoints aren't great for deer sized game. Very poor bullet performance on the few I've killed with them, and almost no blood trail. Lately I've been using the Hornady Black 123 grain SSTs. I've killed several deer with those out of my AR, and they work great.

tgc

These guys have given good advice. I’ve only used brown bear(Russian ammo) hollow points and soft points. Killed everything from beavers, deer, yotes etc. I think the soft does best but never heard any complaints from the hollow point recipients. And your ranges for hunting is 30-30 range. For 2 legged animals you can get a lot more range.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
These guys have given good advice. I’ve only used brown bear(Russian ammo) hollow points and soft points. Killed everything from beavers, deer, yotes etc. I think the soft does best but never heard any complaints from the hollow point recipients. And your ranges for hunting is 30-30 range. For 2 legged animals you can get a lot more range.
The Brown Bear softpoints I've shot deer with killed the deer, but they didn't expand hardly any, left no blood trail, didn't exit, and the deer were hard to find. With the Hornady SSTs, never had one leave my sight, and Stevie Wonder could have followed the blood trail.

tgc

The Brown Bear softpoints I've shot deer with killed the deer, but they didn't expand hardly any, left no blood trail, didn't exit, and the deer were hard to find. With the Hornady SSTs, never had one leave my sight, and Stevie Wonder could have followed the blood trail.
10-4. I would expect better ammo to do a much better job, but since I have 5000 rounds of the Russian, it gets used. I’m definitely a fan of the caliber.

sleepr71

Sounds like the Black SST is where I should start for dedicated(hunting) ammo. Federal fusion & Silver Bear soft points get good reviews also?

transfixer

I've never really hunted with my ak or my sks, mostly because I don't consider them pinpoint accurate enough, probably fine for most thick woods distances, 50 or 60yds, but those barrels were never made for accuracy, I do plan on using my recently put together AR in 7.62 this season, I've got thousands of the European made ammo, in both hp and sp rounds, and I'll probably try them to see what kind of accuracy they get,

buckpasser

No one uses the copper bullets in 7.62? I’d think they would be money as they are in the .300 blk.

transfixer

No one uses the copper bullets in 7.62? I’d think they would be money as they are in the .300 blk.

Surprisingly Barnes does have some in .310 diameter, I had to look it up, wasn't sure they did, bullet selection is somewhat limited in the .310 category , I don't know if anyone factory loads the monolithic rounds though, probably would have to load your own.

sleepr71

Probably not enough velocity (7.62 x 39) to make the Copper bullets open up.? They NEED velocity to perform,so I Doubt we will ever see a monolithic in this caliber,due to that. I’d think something along the lines of a (Bonded)SP ..tweaked to work at 1800-2400 FPS would be ideal?

Bobby Bigtime

We (my family and I) have taken dozens of deer and antelope with our ak-47s. The various american commercial brand soft points have been excellent. The hornady SST loads are good performers. Privi partizan makes a round nose load that is a super woods load( if you can find it) blessed me with a 170 class whitetail.