7 top vs purple top turnip

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I bought 50 pounds of purple tops this year and put them pretty heavy in our food plots along with canola and rape.

The plots were great. The turnips outperformed the rape.

Those of you experienced with turnips which variety do you prefer.

Kdog

Have never used anything but purple top. How may acres you planting with 50#'s? :eek:

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Have never used anything but purple top. How may acres you planting with 50#'s? :eek:
That's a pile of seed!
I mixed some Purple Top turnips in with my rye. The rye looks really good. The turnips haven't come up.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Being in extreme South ga for us we usually do not get cold enough during the season (or atleast the last 10-15 years with exceptions) for them to just crave them, purple top is still usually in the rotation, with rape, radish, sugar beets, barkant turnips, sometimes carrots. As a farm kid I actually planted collards one year for them and we got a good cold spell (several mornings with frost and maybe one of those days not higher than 50-55 degrees shortly before Thanksgiving) and they absolutely demolished them in an oat patch, outside of seeing biologic clover at a store all I knew about plots back then was what I could scrape off the top of whatever we were planting cover crops with. Thought I was in heaven and really doing something that first year I bought and spread out some tecomate max attract haha

specialk

purple top....

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
For some reason when I post here photos randomly rotate 90 or 180 degrees.
Canon

They should be hitting the plot pretty good this week and on

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Agreed, and the plots look great! I over seeded at 2# per acre is why I asked.

2 pounds per acre?

With the cold weather will they thrive?

Kdog

Have to look back, but it was late Sept or early Oct when I over seeded and they look good.