8 “Spring Thunder”

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
They gobbled good Thursday and Friday when we were scouting but since yesterday morning with temperatures in the 50's, cloudy skies, and 15 mph winds... they shut down. We're hunting hard all day but no luck so far. We went out to eat seafood Friday night, grilled deer burgers last night, and have deer chili cooked for supper tonight. I'm enjoying the camping and hunting but it sure would be nice if they would gobble!IMG_20210321_4512.jpgIMG_20210321_14195.jpgIMG_20210321_29257.jpgIMG_20210321_895.jpg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Atta girl! My turn.....love the photos btw! See any Bigfoot?

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
It's hard to believe we are 10 days into the season. I had taken my oldest grandson Bryce on youth weekend to hunt on private farm land the first day and on my land the next day. We did hear one gobbling the second day but he was way off across the property line with water in every slough between us. This past Saturday morning we were hunting again on my property. It was an absolutely awesome hunt! We could have shot a double but I didn't want to move and take a chance of messing up his hunt. He shot the Boss Gobbler, 12" beard and 1.25" spurs! I've been hunting the other bird every day since and he is taking me to school and showing me just how hard it can be. bryce5d.jpgbryce5i.jpgbryce5h.jpgbryce5.jpg

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
That's awesome! Congratulations to both of you.
Thank you! This is his 4th gobbler. He shot his first eastern in 2018. Last year he got 2 Osceola's. This is his second eastern and the first that I've ever called in for him. In the past I was hunting with my granddaughter while Bryce hunted with Jamey. So now I've called in a gobbler for both of them :)

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Second gobbler of the season is hanging from a limb! It was an awesome morning on the river... I was set up near a slough where the birds like to roost. Jamey was about 100 yards north of me just in case they got by me maybe he would get a chance. They gobbled a lot this morning and I heard at least 4 different birds spread out along the river. I saw the closest one fly down at 7:00 a.m. After 20 minutes he finally came in. Gobbler down! I started to go to him then thought about Jamey and the other birds so I sat back down. I heard Jamey calling and heard them gobble. A few minutes later I heard him shoot. He only saw one hen come by him and then the gobbler. He shot. When he went to get him there were 2 gobblers on the ground. It was unintentional but we give thanks for a blessed morning in the woods! We've hunted these birds at least 10 days since the season opened. Sometimes the property lines make it hard because you can't just go to the bird. It was nice to finally have it all come together!

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Just in case you're wondering... that's my bird in the middle! I'm exhausted! We're both exhausted. We are leaving for New Mexico (and then on to Kansas) tomorrow and we haven't even started packing yet. So much to do so little time. I'm ready for another adventure :)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I can’t stop laughing about Jameys TWOFER! That’s great! Way to get it done, BOTH OF YOU!! I’m up next! Gonna hit a few places in the am.....goodnight John boy

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Just in case you're wondering... that's my bird in the middle! I'm exhausted! We're both exhausted. We are leaving for New Mexico (and then on to Kansas) tomorrow and we haven't even started packing yet. So much to do so little time. I'm ready for another adventure :)
And I’m jealous! My day is coming!

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
I can’t stop laughing about Jameys TWOFER! That’s great! Way to get it done, BOTH OF YOU!! I’m up next! Gonna hit a few places in the am.....goodnight John boy
Good night Mary Ellen! Or is it Ben? Jamey's sister is Mary Ellen by the way! Good luck guys!

Last edited:

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
If any one should have given up I felt like I should. Seriously. I've hunted these birds so many mornings since Bryce shot his Boss Gobbler. I've been real close a couple of times. You just can't predict them and when you have property lines it really throws a curve ball. Several times I just felt like they knew exactly where I was and totally outwitted me. Taking me to school. I made up my mind the only thing I could do any different was be there WAY earlier so no chance they heard or saw me. This morning I was an hour earlier. It was so dark I felt like I inched my way the entire way from the house. I couldn't see anything. It all came together, FINALLY! When it does it makes every effort worth it. Never give up. Give it all you have. Good luck!

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Yes Ma`am, That`s for sure and for certain. I`m familiar with a couple of them myself.

Congratulations on a fine bird, Debbie.
Thank you Nick! I've seen pictures of some of yours with the same dark wings and broken barring.