'94 F150 Synthetic Oil? Spark Plugs?

Count Down

Just rebuilt my 5.0 in my F150..It has an automatic, and it's 2wd...Does anyone think I should use Synthetic Oil? What about the spark plugs? The reson is my Gas mileage sucks.:mad: So I have to figure something...I know the plugs are about as cheap as they come (autolite) and so is the oil/oil filter. Of course all of these were changed as part of the rebuild...The motor runs good, not a lot of HP...Any thoughts? :huh:

BRONCO26

Don't Use Syn. Oil For The First 5,000 Miles To Allow The Engine To Break In. The Platinum Plugs Won't Hurt But You Won't Notice Any Fuel Mileage Gain Or Power. Keep The Ford Forget About The Chevy.

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
Dyno oil is fine......

I see no need to run synthetic. It's not gonna help your mileage..That stuff is alot of money..

As stated above though, give it several thousand miles to break in if you do go with synthetic..

discounthunter

there is a break in period for rebuilds same as new engines.you didnt state what kind of mileage you were getting before/after rebuild ,check the stats for 94 fords and compare.oil and plugs wont do much for fuel milage.check your timing,fuel injectors and pump.

ponyboy

we have a 96 f-150 [5.0] at work n the gas mileage doesnt seem to be all that great either.

Lostoutlaw

discounthunter said:
there is a break in period for rebuilds same as new engines.you didnt state what kind of mileage you were getting before/after rebuild ,check the stats for 94 fords and compare.oil and plugs wont do much for fuel milage.check your timing,fuel injectors and pump.

This be the ab so lute truth!!!!! Good luck if ur gettin 11 or 12 be very proud so no offence on fords I got one but they suck up gas so you won't get much!!!!:mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Count Down

Thanks to the comments. I think you all have slammed the door on the synthetic oil issue for now. I think I'll look for a heavier guage plug wire and some single platinum tip plugs. I beleive you can buy kits like that for performance shops. I'm not trying to make this thing a race car...Just something that can pass more than 2 gas stations at a time.:cry:

BRONCO26

i just thought of something that you might could ck. pull THE VACCUMM LINE OFF THE FUEL PRESSURE REG. AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY EVIDENCE OF ANY RAW FUEL AT THE LINE WHEN DISCONNECTED IF IT IS THE REG. IS BAD.

Count Down

BRONCO26 said:
i just thought of something that you might could ck. pull THE VACCUMM LINE OFF THE FUEL PRESSURE REG. AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY EVIDENCE OF ANY RAW FUEL AT THE LINE WHEN DISCONNECTED IF IT IS THE REG. IS BAD.

bronco26...If it was bad, would that cause a fuel economy issue...? I'll check it when I get home...Thanks..I'll let you know what I find..

BRONCO26

Yes If The Diaphragm Is Busted It Will Suck In Raw Fuel Through The Vaccumm Line Into The Engine Which Is Unmetered Fuel By The Computer.

aa136

use ford motorsport wires and ford plugs. I have a 86 f150 with a 302 , a 91 f250 with a 351w and a 95 bronco with a 351w and I use these wires on all of them. The synthetic oils are ok. I have a friend that uses amsoil in his f150's with the 4.6 motors and has had good luck, but Its a pain to keep up with. I figured out it cost about the same as regular oil because you change it alot less, but that is the only advantage I have seen

Can't hurt

I put synthetic in and old Blazer (350) and couldn't believe how much I had to cut back the fuel (still a carb) to get the idle down. That stuff does reduce friction!