A bear with my hog pipe

Fork Horn

I wasn't sure where to post this, since it's doesn't fit in any of the categories. It's not really about hog hunting (but there is a hog pipe in the video), it's not a trail camera video (but it is a video of a bear) and it isn't bear hunting (but obviously there's a bear in the video); regardless, I'm putting it here and someone can move it if it belongs somewhere else.

I took this video yesterday afternoon. With a few hogs showing up on our place recently, we put out this hog pipe to see about getting them to hang around long enough to shoot a few. Only one hog found the pipe, so far (and my son shot him), but this bear has also found the pipe and has taken a great interest in it. I saw him from my house yesterday and thought I'd ride over and get the pipe so the bear would move on. It turns out that the bear likes the pipe more than I do so I decided to leave it and get it another time; I'll probably get it and bring it home today. Regardless, I thought the video was interesting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fork Horn

What's in the pipe?
Corn is (was) in the pipe. The pipe has been out for over a week so I imagine it’s either empty or almost empty. My son killed a nice hog that had found the pipe several days ago. We were hoping another hog would find it but this bear is the only other thing to find it. With the bear finding it, I’ll have to get it (or leave it empty). Keeping corn in it now will only keep the bear coming back.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I gotcha. A feeder. Was the pipe on that metal post in the video?

Fork Horn

I gotcha. A feeder. Was the pipe on that metal post in the video?
The pipe is chained to the metal post. The pipe has a few holes drilled into it and hogs will roll it around and eat the few grains of corn that comes out with each roll. We‘ve had photos of hogs spending hours rolling the pipe just for the few grains that come out with each roll. It’s a good way to keep hogs at a location if you’re trying to get rid of them. I can see this pipe from my house and will check it periodically to see if hogs are there. If one is there, we will usually have time to get to it before the hog leaves since he’s focused on rolling the pipe and getting the corn.