A brief lesson on Uncle Henry knives, then and now...Sheath bit the dust already, time for an upgrade!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
As some of you know, I have been messing with knives a lot lately. I am kind of amassing a treasure chest for The Kid and Little Brother to take turns picking from when I am dead and done. I've been junk/antique shopping, e-bayin' and tradin'. I've bought a very few new blades, which brings me to my point.

We all know Uncle Henry brand knives, and we probably all like em. A lot has changed over the years, but the brand remains. All are made in China now, unfortunately.

I took a chance, and ordered a few for old times sake, and here is what I have learned.

Refer to these pix, as we go.

IMG_20210911_194107326.jpg

Top: US made.
Middle: Early Chinese made.
Bottom: Current Chinese made.

Note the difference in the Staglon. Top is what you all know, middle is a little "cheaper" looking. Bottom is cheaper looking still. It is now called Stag-A-lon and is not the same delrin material as the top two. Not necessarily worse, just different.

IMG_20210911_194128729.jpg

Note the "UH" designated numbers on the left two knives. The earlier China knives stuck to the model number system, and were close copies of the originals.

They are now using a multi digit number like the one on the right.

There are still some UH designated China examples to be had, but the Next Gen is different enough that you might be disappointed.

Now, these new China knives are nice enough for the 20-30 bucks they cost, and most still come with an OK leather sheath. The ones I got we're all sharp, but I had to stone a small burr off one side of one outta three. Only took a few minutes, and it'll shave a rat.

My new Uncle Henry's will do truck and ranger duty, and cut stuff you don't wanna use a "good" knife on. Prolly carry them at work some, too. Won't feel bad if damaged, lost, or loaned out.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've carried the mini skinner to work for several days and I have learned something new.

The sheaths that looked "ok" absolutely are not gonna hold up to daily use. They are actually made from a compound leather and this one is separating all over the place..de-laminating is prolly a better word.

IMG_20210919_071802807.jpg

If your knife is gonna stay in the truck or in a pack, the sheath will probably work.

From what I see, I surely wouldn't let it get wet. Lol

This gave me an excuse to make another sheath...

IMG_20210919_071230267.jpg

IMG_20210919_071201253.jpg

Guess I will go on and make sheaths for the others...

Doug B.

Dang! I sure do hate that you had to break down and make another sheath!::ke:

That new sheath really does suit that knife though! Good job! Can't wait to see the others.

greg j

I know that some of the Chinese made knives have good quality but, I just can't make myself buy any if I can help it. I like to go "huntn" the antique and junk stores for American made knives

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I know that some of the Chinese made knives have good quality but, I just can't make myself buy any if I can help it. I like to go "huntn" the antique and junk stores for American made knives

So do I, but I took a chance just because I wanted to know and wound up with some good beater knives. Gotta say the quality is a little better than I was expecting, which was not much at $20 each...

Made the sheath for the large skinner...

IMG_20210919_102556712.jpg

IMG_20210919_102534979.jpg

May have to add a thong tie to this one, depending on how tight it still is once it dries...

I think this big skinner is destined for my trappin' gear....

Shotgun1

Thanks for the update on old timer knives. Congrats on the leather work. I have done a bit of leather work in the past. Knife sheaths,holsters. Nothing fancy,just get the job done. I have come to like kydex(can I say that word here?) or a combination of kydex and leather for my EDC blade. But lets face it. Ain't no manmade material ever gonna smell,feel or look as good as leather.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Well, since it's been raining all dang day, I went on ahead and made the third sheath...

IMG_20210919_185748120.jpgIMG_20210919_185728417.jpg

Might or might not put some dye on the fringe, depending on how much the sheath lightens up when the dye dries ....

Big7

The Oracle
It's a shame all the "American" knife makers have gone to China. I remember seeing the first Buck Knives go to China. I thought, what da' heck?
Remember when a Buck cost $100.00, when a hundred was actually worth something?

As far as the actual metallurgy, that is easily analyzed and copied. Heat treating, is so very simple. The various manufacturing processes are virtually the same, globally.

My question is: why don't we just make knives, and everything else here?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
It's a shame all the "American" knife makers have gone to China. I remember seeing the first Buck Knives go to China. I thought, what da' heck?

As far as the actual metallurgy, that is easily analyzed and copied. Heat treating, is so very simple. The various manufacturing processes are virtually the same, globally.

From my recent knife research, US made examples can be had from Case, Buck, Bear and Son and others, you just have to pay attention.

Taylor LLC wound up with the rights to all the Old Timer, Uncle Henry, and Imperial brands. NONE of these are US made, and have NOTHING to do with the old brands we grew up on. They are made with 7cr3ching steel, which is an Asian copy of good ol' 440. As tools these knives are all perfectly serviceable and the price certainly is right. But make no mistake, these are NOT "Like Grand Dad's"..lol

Once again, at first glance I thought the sheaths were gonna be ok, but they SUCK. Not real leather at all. They are the particle board of the cow hide world.

I won't be buying any more, but will keep, use, and abuse these three.

Happily.

Dr. Strangelove

I received an 8" Henckel chef's knife as a wedding present in 1997.

I purchased the exact model number knife a couple of years ago. Even with a couple of inches of blade missing due to sharpening over the years, the older knife still noticeably weighed more than the new one. The spine of the older one is noticeably thicker. Both were made in germany but they sure don't make them like they used to.

Hillbilly stalker

F.Y.I the original Uncle Henry’s warranty covered replacement even if you just lost the knife.:eek: Can’t find that anymore.

Dr. Strangelove

Cost. It costs way too much to manufacture here in the US and people won't put their money where their mouth is. Buy American they cry all day long but given a chance to spend less money on something made elsewhere, they buy that all day.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
F.Y.I the original Uncle Henry’s warranty covered replacement even if you just lost the knife.:eek: Can’t find that anymore.

I remember that...

Go into Sam Walton's Wal-Mart and buy a US made Uncle Henry knowing dang well that if you broke or even lost it, they'd send you a new one...

Things sure ain't like they used to be, unfortunately.

pjciii

Made me look

Says 85% of buck Knives are made in Idaho only looked because When i was young i could never afford a Buck knife. Did have a nice Case *** buster for about half the price.

https://www.lazerdesigns.com/blog/where-are-buck-knives-made-china-usa/

Actually ended up buying one once i started looking.