A/C: do I want a package or split unit?

jdgator

This is to go in an older 900 square foot home that I am renovating for a rental property. 1 story. It's never had Central A/C. I'm thinking a 2.5 ton unit will be the right size.

I hate to lose a closet but I heard split units require less maintenance and last long. Is that true?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
split unit = heat and cooling in one area. nothing to spread conditioned air thru house

conventional unit = more cost to install mainly because of ducting and labor

my heat pump is 16 yrs old and not a single service call because of bad parts.

my split unit in the office is 3 years old. 4 service calls for bad parts

you draw your cards and you place your bets, thats the best you can do

Anvil Head

There's more to maintaining a min-split than supplier/installer will tell you. Some are real buggars to service. If they lose the slightest amount of coolant due to connections they freeze up then dam up then leak water down the wall making a mess of sheetrock or paneling. Cleaning coils of a wall mount takes special tools/devices to keep from making a mess in side a room.
Not so many techs out there that really understand them well enough to trouble shoot them properly - we went through 4 to find a simple fix. Ours is an older Mitsu (5yr+). Even though they are non intrusive persay, and work well when working, not sure I'd go with another one. And yes they are a one room wonder.

bany

Conventional.
Splits wont move air all over the house.
Or I have three and a half window units I’ll sell ya!

TomC

Have not written the check yet. Almost everyone I've spoken to recommended a ductless mini split (18-9-9 tri zone) over a conventional in my small 2 bedroom cabin build (1100sq ft). The comments above have me 2nd guessing going this route!

Last edited:

Mexican Squealer

I have a mini-split system in a house I own that was built in 1946. The mini split system has been an absolute nightmare...I would never advise ANYONE to buy this over conventional system. Especially in a rental home. Trust me.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Go with a 2-2 1/2 ton split unit with air handler in crawl space if you have one or if not install handler in attic. You will be happy.
Yep, this is the way to go. I'd have that unit size checked before I installed it though. 2.5 tons is a lot for 900 square feet unless the house has virtually no shade and not much attic insulation. It might be cheaper in the long run to insulate the attic really well and go with a 2 ton system. Improperly sized units can really cause you some problems down the road.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If there is sufficient crawl space a ground mounted package unit sitting right against the underpinning is a good option. Also a package unit can be serviced, filter changed, etc all from the outside if that is a factor.

Tight Lines

Maybe I don't understand the question, but I think that there are a couple of different alternatives...

1. Traditional split system...put the air handler and furnace in the attic or the crawl space and the compressor outside...this is the most reliable alternative typically...will need duct work but 900 square feet isn't big...they make air handlers for horizontal use to fit in crawl space or attic...

2. Traditional all in one unit where the compressor and air handler are combined and outside the house and duct in...these are common in lower cost houses that have never had HVAC before...typically duct in from the floor in the crawl space...this is likely how I'd go because it is easy to install and service...

3. Mini-split system...for the 900 feet you are really not going to need a split system and if you do, it will likely cost more to install and maintain than the above...

When you have the HVAC guys size it make sure they do it right...if you want to spend a little more get a variable speed blower unit...they maintain temperature and hot/cold spots better...

Good luck...

Tight Lines

If there is sufficient crawl space a ground mounted package unit sitting right against the underpinning is a good option. Also a package unit can be serviced, filter changed, etc all from the outside if that is a factor.

What he said...

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I like package units just because they are plug and play. I'm also a fan of mini splits. The mini splits do require some service from time to time but I'm more concerned with efficiency over maintenance.
I personally took my power bill from 600 per month down to just under 200 by going with mini splits.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
This is to go in an older 900 square foot home that I am renovating for a rental property. 1 story. It's never had Central A/C. I'm thinking a 2.5 ton unit will be the right size.

I hate to lose a closet but I heard split units require less maintenance and last long. Is that true?

2.5 ton seems huge for 900 sq ft.

I'd look at a 1.5 ton if the house will be getting new windows and insulation.

We use 2.5 tons on 1,500 sq ft 2 story houses. 1 unit with 2 zones(and you can hang meat in them).

Check and see if your local power company will run the numbers for you.

Artfuldodger

I'm a fan of package units just because it's all outside. Plus with a spilt, you may have rooms behind the air flow of the inside air handler. That being said conventional splits seem to last longer. Someone told me it's because the heat exchanger in a package unit stays wet from the evaporator coil being so close to it. Might be some other factors as well.

I have a spilt but if and when it fails, I may go back with a package unit. Maybe they got better heat exchangers in them now. Mainly for the convenience of it all being in one unit and no refrigerant piping.
The down side is I'll have to remove a big square of bricks to my crawl space and install the larger duct to the package unit.

With a conventional split, all you have to run from the outside is refrigerant tubing and wiring. That would be a plus, not duct work. No bigger hole. If not a brick house, not such a big issue.

Also on split units, when the drip pan stops us, it can cause flooding issues. They do have float and other switches to turn off the unit when the pan stops up. With a package unit, it just leaks outside.

Latest posts