A day chasing specks

flyrod444

Had a client that wanted to fish a small stream for specks earlier this month. Ended up being a great day with a fellow fly fisherman that knew how to fish a small stream. Caught some beautiful trout in some beautiful country.
IMG_20210705_104158250_copy_510x680.jpg
IMG_20210705_083636931_copy_510x680.jpg
IMG_20210705_092016677_copy_510x680.jpg
IMG_20210705_092221779_copy_510x680.jpg
Had a first happen for me as well when he set the hook and pulled a spring lizard out of the stream. I've had several crawfish latch on to my nymph over the years but this was a first.
IMG_20210705_093050935_MP_copy_510x680.jpg
The little deer had been all up and down the stream leaving it's sign behind.
IMG_20210705_084519873_copy_680x510.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a fine day indeed!

About ten years ago, I caught a big shovel-nosed salamander on a small nymph. No one believed me.

Beautiful fish! So specks are what you are calling brook trout? I have heard that nickname for speckled sea trout and crappie, but not brookies. Of course, I ain't from round here, so that probably explains it. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful fish! So specks are what you are calling brook trout? I have heard that nickname for speckled sea trout and crappie, but not brookies. Of course, I ain't from round here, so that probably explains it. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Specks, aka speckled trout, are specifically southern Appalachian strain native brook trout. Stocked northern-strain brook trout are doughbelly brook trout.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Got it. I forgot to ask, is the green worm/caddis nymph in the picture a mop fly?
That's a green weenie/inchworm, tied with micro chenille or furry foam. It's an inchworm imitation and works well here through the summer.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Specks, aka speckled trout, are specifically southern Appalachian strain native brook trout. Stocked northern-strain brook trout are doughbelly brook trout.

And hopefully never to be interbred.

flyrod444

It is a green weenie tied with furry foam, which is a blanket Roger Lowe had dyed years ago. He gives me a square of it as I need it. Very easy tie with some small dia lead wrapped under the foam. It is hard to beat through the summer in our streams.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It is a green weenie tied with furry foam, which is a blanket Roger Lowe had dyed years ago. He gives me a square of it as I need it. Very easy tie with some small dia lead wrapped under the foam. It is hard to beat through the summer in our streams.
Small world. I've got a chunk of Roger's furry foam blanket, and still got a chunk of the chocolate tan Dayco plastic he gave me for tying Coffee's Nymphs, back years ago when he had the fly shop in Waynesville.