A Few Hours In The Mountains

whitetailfreak

I had a few hours to kill before being dragged off to a certain Smoky Mountain tourist trap this morning so what better to do than head up to a small creek high in the mountains that I knew to be full of Speckle Trout. After getting to the trail head and tying on a #12 Yaller Palmer and dressing it with a bit of Gink, I made the short hike upstream. My first cast of the day yielded a fiesty 7" Rainbow. After that first Rainbow I landed Speck after Speck from every likely hole although, as usual with these little jewels many of their strikes were off target. At just a hair over 60 degrees this morning it was a delightful morning to be in the mountains.
FOTO_20210722_220244.jpg
FOTO_20210722_220507.jpgFOTO_20210722_220640.jpgFOTO_20210722_220751.jpgFOTO_20210722_220853.jpgFOTO_20210722_221329.jpgFOTO_20210722_221454.jpgFOTO_20210722_221636.jpgFOTO_20210722_223413.jpg

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Looks like you were floating dries.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Beautiful creek and thanks for the great pictures ??

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a good while since I fished that creek. I need to hit it again. The last time was actually when the trailhead was closed, and I came in from the gorge below. It was kind of nice with no hikers.

splatek

UAEC
The thing I love about the park is you can find specks right off the road. I think I know that stream, but not sure. There is one right off the road that is the most crystal clear water and big specks throughout. Now I'm fiending for some speck time.

whitetailfreak

It's been a good while since I fished that creek. I need to hit it again. The last time was actually when the trailhead was closed, and I came in from the gorge below. It was kind of nice with no hikers.

This morning I went to the creek that I asked you about on the TN side. Lot's of nice fat rainbows. Bigger than what you'd expect in a creek that size although many of those plunge pools are deep.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This morning I went to the creek that I asked you about on the TN side. Lot's of nice fat rainbows. Bigger than what you'd expect in a creek that size although many of those plunge pools are deep.
Yep. Last time I fished it I don't know if I even caught over one or two that weren't legal keepers, out of probably 50-60 fish. I broke off one about 14" on a startled hookset. It jumped twice after it broke the fly off. And that was way above the upper access. Pretty colors on them too.

whitetailfreak

Yep. Last time I fished it I don't know if I even caught over one or two that weren't legal keepers, out of probably 50-60 fish. I broke off one about 14" on a startled hookset. It jumped twice after it broke the fly off. And that was way above the upper access. Pretty colors on them too.

I hung one that was 10-11" below the bridge at the first home place but wrapped me up in a Birch and shook the hook. I did keep a limit of dandy's but never saw anything but Rainbows. I guess that's par for that creek. I did see a few bears.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hung one that was 10-11" below the bridge at the first home place. Wrapped me up in a Birch and shook the hook. I did keep a limit of dandy's. I never saw anything but Rainbows. I guess that's par for that creek. I did see a few bears.
Rainbows are all I've ever caught there. I've heard there are specks if you go far enough up, but there's no good way to get in and out.