A few points left to me by a good friend.

wvdawg

Staff member
Magnificent! Appreciate you sharing with us!

Reactions: Son

tjchurch

Thank you sir. Beautiful collection.

Reactions: Son

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Awesome doesn't come close to describing your collection Son. Thanks for sharing.

ArmyTaco

Awesome collection. Fields rarely get plowed/tilled these days, so its tough finding real fresh dirt. Thankfully my friend's farm is being cut as we speak and its right along the Uchee Trail and has 2 creeks that T on it with a flint vein. Have found some point, brokes, pottery, abrading stone, preform, and a ton of flakes. Now theyre cutting the pines which are along the higher areas next to the creek, I cant wait to go look. Patiently waiting for them to bulldoze all the stumps up soon.

bnew17

Incredible collection. Thank you for sharing. Some of my fondest memories of my Granddad were “arrowhead huntin” on various farms in Early Co with him, my brother, parents, and Grandmom. We always seemed to find something. Looking back, I am pretty sure he planted most of them for my brother and I to find. Either way, “huntin’ arrowheads” with him was the most fun and exciting thing I did growing up. We would nag them to death about taking us, lol.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I began collecting in the mid 1950 in South Central Florida. Over the years, I've collected in about 7 states, walking plowed fields and finding points while deer hunting. Photo is a partial of my collection in 1983.

Attachments

• displayof the past.jpg
    displayof the past.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 17

Artfuldodger

In a small creek in Ga, I had just picked up a fine bannerstone. Looking around to see if there were a dozen more, spotted this point right in front of me. With a banner and a fine point, was glad to give up snorkeling through junk, aquatic weeds and snakes. I was cold too. Took the two artifacts and went home that day.
I had to google banner stone. What's your take on what they were used for? For some reason I thought they looked like a flywheel or counterweight but just speculation on my part.

While we are at it what were the eggs used for? I found just an egg shaped piece of quartzite in my yard near Augusta. Nothing about it makes me think it's a Native American egg stone though. No flat sides on it. I just assumed it's water polished by an ancient river or ocean.

Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Some so called bannerstones were used on the atlatl. Others in my opinion are not suited for such use. Could be the large one's were used as status identity such as importance in a group. Maybe on a staff of sorts.
Eggstones were club heads. Installed on one end of a handle in rawhide with an area cut out and exposing the stone. Reason I say this is because many years ago I saw a video of some primitive tribes somewhere in the world using such stones as clubs. Eggstones are Early archaic period, and found associated with Bolen points.

Attachments

• 51968815_10210988223181302_636400959404113920_n.jpg
    51968815_10210988223181302_636400959404113920_n.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 5

Artfuldodger

The only point I ever found was near Albany. There was a Native American Camp on the Marine Base where I worked. One of the maintenance shops had some stuff they had found.

It seems like more stuff is found in West Georgia in general. I say that but I've also seen a lot of stuff found around Telfair County as well.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The only point I ever found was near Albany. There was a Native American Camp on the Marine Base where I worked. One of the maintenance shops had some stuff they had found.

It seems like more stuff is found in West Georgia in general. I say that but I've also seen a lot of stuff found around Telfair County as well.

There`s an ancient chert quarry on the Base.