A great example....

WaltL1

I have frequently made apparent my disapproval of "organized religion". Or at least what I view as "organized religion".
I think this a great example of what I'm talking about -
It seems to me that if God is what you all claim he is.... there sure seems to be a whole lot of man made nonsense between this child and that God.
While this happens to be the Catholic denomination, all the denominations have their own "rules/beliefs/processes" so if folks choose to comment, please lets forego the "those wacky Catholics" comments and focus on my point.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I have frequently made apparent my disapproval of "organized religion". Or at least what I view as "organized religion".
I think this a great example of what I'm talking about -

It seems to me that if God is what you all claim he is.... there sure seems to be a whole lot of man made nonsense between this child and that God.
While this happens to be the Catholic denomination, all the denominations have their own "rules/beliefs/processes" so if folks choose to comment, please lets forego the "those wacky Catholics" comments and focus on my point.

I agree, there is something wrong with organized religion in general as far as rules and “rulers”.

One of my fondest memories was visiting a church with a friend and there was a boy about 18 to 20 years old with Down syndrome playing his guitar along with the choir. He couldn’t play worth a lick, but to him he was making a joyful noise.

j_seph

That is sad to say the least, there is a reason when I make a statement that just because someone says they are a Christian does not mean that they are. Too many churches have made God who they want God to be. I know a family who have an autistic son, their son has been saved. He speaks very little if any but has other ways to communicate, as well he confessed salvation himself and it did not take man to tell him he was saved or to convince him.

WaltL1

I agree, there is something wrong with organized religion in general as far as rules and “rulers”.

One of my fondest memories was visiting a church with a friend and there was a boy about 18 to 20 years old with Down syndrome playing his guitar along with the choir. He couldn’t play worth a lick, but to him he was making a joyful noise.
Just doesn't seem like it should be that complicated.
To complicate every dang thing is a human trait.. I just don't see why a g(God) would need to.
He couldn’t play worth a lick, but to him he was making a joyful noise
Yes. Uncomplicated. The only thing that matters is the feeling it gives him.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
To complicate every dang thing is a human trait.. I just don't see why a g(God) would need to.

Yep, I have no use for any organized religion. I think your religion should between you and who/what you worship.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

I’m not convinced that God needs it. I am convinced that those “rulers” are convinced that God requires it.

You have to have standards and in return, that brings some form of organization. But the common sense gets thrown out because they don’t know how to separate the idea of the lack of understanding with the ability to learn more, and the challenge of a lower comprehension level for whatever reason.

I will take 100 Autistic people that are giving 100% of their understanding into the communion over 1 well educated person doing it to be part of the crowd.

WaltL1

That is sad to say the least, there is a reason when I make a statement that just because someone says they are a Christian does not mean that they are. Too many churches have made God who they want God to be. I know a family who have an autistic son, their son has been saved. He speaks very little if any but has other ways to communicate, as well he confessed salvation himself and it did not take man to tell him he was saved or to convince him.
I agree 100% with you that its sad.
But on the flip side, the church is just trying to follow what they believe to be the God given "rules".
If they DONT do that then they will be accused of -
Too many churches have made God who they want God to be.
Again, man making it complicated.

j_seph

I agree 100% with you that its sad.
But on the flip side, the church is just trying to follow what they believe to be the God given "rules".
If they DONT do that then they will be accused of -

Again, man making it complicated.
Jimmy LaCugna said in a Facebook post that he and his wife were informed Tuesday by the Rev. John Bambrick at Saint Aloysius Church that their son Anthony won't be able to participate in the religious ceremony because he feels the boy is "unable to determine right from wrong due to his disability."

LaCugna said they were told that Anthony, who is nonverbal, is not at the "benchmark required to make his communion."

Seems to me that Rev. John denied this because HE feels the way he does. Again man is making up the rule, not sure where in Gods word it states that the boy cannot participate. Even seems to me that there is some judging going on. What right does John have at all to state what the boy is able or unable to determine? I mean if you offend God should you not go to him to make amends for what you did wrong? Yet in this religion you go to a man and tell them what you did wrong so they can go to God for you if I am not mistaken. They are men just like everyone else so they have no right to do that either cause they screw up just like the rest.

stringmusic

I think taking this example and using it “against” organized religion would be akin to someone using a thief “against” atheism/secularism.

There is nothing wrong with organized religion as far as Christians having a church, there is however something wrong when certain church members start imposing their rules and not God’s rules as shown in your example.

And just for the record, everybody has rules/beliefs or guidelines they live their life by, not just organized religion.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
A primary
indication
of Autism , and perhaps the most consistent across the degrees of effect, being a decrease in social interaction and communication, it must be really difficult to define the point at which the diagnosis is positive. I know I certainly have plenty of room for improvement in both areas; and I'm pretty sure I've not known anyone who didn't. It's not difficult to make a case that Autism might facilitate an improved ability for supernatural communication by eliminating the confusion of natural interpersonal interaction and communication.

WaltL1

Seems to me that Rev. John denied this because HE feels the way he does. Again man is making up the rule, not sure where in Gods word it states that the boy cannot participate. Even seems to me that there is some judging going on. What right does John have at all to state what the boy is able or unable to determine? I mean if you offend God should you not go to him to make amends for what you did wrong? Yet in this religion you go to a man and tell them what you did wrong so they can go to God for you if I am not mistaken. They are men just like everyone else so they have no right to do that either cause they screw up just like the rest.
What right does John have at all
The right that his denomination gives him as according to their rules.
Yet in this religion you go to a man and tell them what you did wrong so they can go to God for you if I am not mistaken
Name the denominations/religions that dont have "middle men/man".
And you are kind of making my point for me -
All this man made "stuff" between God and the people.
That man made "stuff" is..... organized religion (in my view). Which is comprised of all the different opinions of men.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think taking this example and using it “against” organized religion would be akin to someone using a thief “against” atheism/secularism.

There is nothing wrong with organized religion as far as Christians having a church, there is however something wrong when certain church members start imposing their rules and not God’s rules as shown in your example.

And just for the record, everybody has rules/beliefs or guidelines they live their life by, not just organized religion.
Spending six years working for a major Protestant denomination thoroughly educated and convinced me of the rampant corruption, greed, power lust, and backstabbing cutthroat politics that are present whenever a religion gets too organized. It was/is basically a multi billion dollar corporation that runs on profits but doesn't pay taxes.
I think a small, self-contained community church is about as organized as religion needs to get.

WaltL1

"Against" wasnt the angle I was coming from though.
Those rules, which I contend are man made, have effects/results. In this case, the effects/results of those man made rules are creating a wall between this kid and God regardless of whats in this kid's heart/faith/love for God etc.
there is however something wrong when certain church members start imposing their rules and not God’s rules
They believe the rules they are following are God's rules.
You might not agree. They might not agree with you. Another denomination might not agree with you or them. Another denomination......
All that disagreement is a result of "organized religion".

WaltL1

A primary
indication
of Autism , and perhaps the most consistent across the degrees of effect, being a decrease in social interaction and communication, it must be really difficult to define the point at which the diagnosis is positive. I know I certainly have plenty of room for improvement in both areas; and I'm pretty sure I've not known anyone who didn't. It's not difficult to make a case that Autism might facilitate an improved ability for supernatural communication by eliminating the confusion of natural interpersonal interaction and communication.
Yes ^

WaltL1

Spending six years working for a major Protestant denomination thoroughly educated and convinced me of the rampant corruption, greed, power lust, and backstabbing cutthroat politics that are present whenever a religion gets too organized. It was/is basically a multi billion dollar corporation that runs on profits but doesn't pay taxes.
I think a small, self-contained community church is about as organized as religion needs to get.
educated and convinced me of the rampant corruption, greed, power lust, and backstabbing cutthroat politics that are present whenever a religion gets too organized.
I think this ^ was a major ingredient in the creation of "organized religion" from Day 1.
Certainly not the entire recipe but a major ingredient.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

I am DYING for you to connect the dots.

WaltL1

Wanted to also comment -
1st - Hope you and the family are doing well, glad you popped in here :cheers:
Have you got a bird zip-tied up on the roost waiting for opening day?
Now -
There is nothing wrong with organized religion as far as Christians having a church,
I totally agree with that ^. That type of "organization" is not what I'm talking about.
And being "organized" certainly has its benefits - like you mentioned a church to gather at to worship, where you can pool your money and support each other etc etc...... And church bake sales. Im a fan of church bake sales.

stringmusic

I agree it does exist in the church, and some churches need to do much better in regards to those things you mentioned, but greed, rampant corruption and the like exist everywhere humans exist, that’s why we all need Jesus in our lives. I will say that a lot of the folks doing those things need to start practicing what they preach, that is to say, that if they’re preaching out of the Bible.

stringmusic

"Against" wasnt the angle I was coming from though.
Those rules, which I contend are man made, have effects/results. In this case, the effects/results of those man made rules are creating a wall between this kid and God regardless of whats in this kid's heart/faith/love for God etc.

They believe the rules they are following are God's rules.
You might not agree. They might not agree with you. Another denomination might not agree with you or them. Another denomination......
All that disagreement is a result of "organized religion".
They may not agree in this particular instance, but they would be wrong. There is a right and a wrong. I’ve been wrong before, but there isn’t a man alive that could sit down and read the Bible and come to the conclusion that anybody should stop that child from taking communion is the correct biblical position.

As far as denominations disagreeing on issues, that’s all well and good. It’s simply going to happen. So long as the disagreements are in love and not of anger or bitterness, I think it’s fine.

E Pluribus Unum. “Out of many, one”

As long as a Christian church teaches that Jesus Christ died and rose again for our sins, and that we need to repent and ask forgiveness for our sins, everything else is second to that.

stringmusic

I am DYING for you to connect the dots.
A person saying that organized religion is bad because of certain people is bad logic, just like saying that all atheists have no morals is bad logic.