a little help for a novice

I plan on purchasing a muzzle loader for the first time. I would like to go with something traditional. Bargain Barn has a Hawken 50 cal. FLK 28QLA for 589.99, is this a ok please advise; Also I assume 1 in 48 is better than 1 in 66?

TJay

Cabela's has a nice sidelock, I have one and have taken several deer with it and I'm pretty sure it's less than $500.

leoparddog

WOW! $500 is some big money for a sidelock hawken. I paid $150 for mine 15yrs ago and they can still be had for under $300. This old .50 Hawken is the only muzzleloader I own and it works very well.

1-48" twist rate barrels will stabilize both Patched Round Balls (PRBs) and maxi-bullet (conical) style bullets and some of the sabot type bullets.

1-66" twist is strictly for PRB shooting, it won't stabilize any conical or sabot bullet.

Hawken style rifles are some of the simplest rifles out there. The style is over 150yrs old after all, and don't have to be fancy and complex or expensive to shoot well.

Curved brass buttplates can really bruise you with full house deer loads (300+gr and 100gr of powder) at the range, but are the only traditional way to go. Pad your shoulder on the range and you'll never notice the kick in the field.

I'd suggest looking at the Cabelas catalog online and find one more reasonably priced - IF IT WERE ME!

I'd suspect one thing that you are paying for here is the QLA system, which I believe incorporates a false muzzle to help with loading. A nice feature, but not required.

Cabelas Traditional Hawkens $270 - $340

Cabelas Sporterized Hawkens

I think the best Traditional Hawkens are the Lymans Lyman

Last edited:

weagle

BT,

I bought one the other day, but I've been shopping for a while. There are a ton of really nice used ones floating around for $300 and less. $200 to $250 seems to be the going price for a clean Thompson Center Hawken.

I also didn't realize that you can buy "drop in" repacement barrels for about $150 for most of the major brands from an outfit called Green Mountain.

Good Luck,
Weagle

bevills1

Is that the Bargain Barn that was in Jasper, Georgia? Did they rebuild since that one in Jasper burned down around a year and a half ago?

leoparddog

I think all 1" diameter across the flats, 28" octogon barrel rifles are abit long and heavy. So the Lyman with the 32" barrel will be too. The upside of the longer barrel is 1) more weight = less felt recoil. 2) longer barrels can generate higher velocities.

For our hunting in the GA woods, I think a 28" barrel is a good compromise, 26" is ok, but anything shorter than 26" IMO you are sacrificing performance and blowing unburnt powder out the end of the barrel when you shoot heavy charges.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve had a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in 50 caliber for goin` on 20 years now and still love it as good as ever. Sturdy, reliable and highly accurate. Yea, it`s a little on the heavy side at somewhere around 11 pounds, but it`s easy to hold steady and recoil is more of a light push than a kick.Take down for cleanin` is quick and easy too. Plus, it`s a dead ringer for the St. Louis Hawkins made in the early 1800s. You can`t go wrong with one like it.

orion1mdl

I'll second the comments on the Lyman Great Plains! Really well made and extremly dependable. I think I bought my first one in "79" and it still will break clay targets at 100 yards every snap of the cap, with 95 grs. of FFg. (.54). I've used that one to kill several elk, one bear, antelope, and deer. I also bought one in .50 cal, in a kit, so I could brown the barrell and get a piece of curly maple for the stock. Great guns IMO.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Orion1mdl, do you participate in pre-1840 rondyvoos? If you do we have a fine one every January at Chehaw Park in Albany. Here`s your invite to come on down for the weekend with your rifles and gear for some serious fun and competition-Early American style. Any Buckskinner here or anyone with a traditional muzzleloader interested in gettin` in this tradition is welcome to come and we even allow spectators to come experience it.

Didn`t mean to get of topic, sorry about that.

orion1mdl

I havn't since moving to Georgia, but used to go to some rendezvous back in Colo., and had a great time. Throwin tomahawk's and knives, the shooting competitions, all of it was great! If you have any more info on it, I'd be real interested in checking into it. You could send me a PM if you want with additional details, and I would appreciate it very much! Thanks nicodemus.

hunterdaddy

i own a knight in-line wife bought at walmart 4+ years ago,was in plastic,told her it was ok thought she understood what i really wanted,now i love it put some camo tape on it and scope wouldn't trade it for anything x-cept maybe a new encore!!!!!!