A little Legalism For Everyone ? LOL

gordon 2

When I was getting married we met with my wife's preacher (Baptist). He told her / us that she would be required by the CC to sign papers demanding when we had kids they had to be Catholic (not true). If they were not, the kids would be taken from her (not true). He also ranted on about statue worshipping (not true). He also asked her if she was OK with sleeping with the priest on our wedding night since this was a requirement (not true). He told her this was done for all people marrying a Catholic (not true). He said Catholics were not Christian and did not recognize Jesus Christ (not true).

This was all first hand so don't shoot the messenger.

I would say Dominic summed it up nicely.

Just remember: A single isolated event or circumstance does not a hypothesis nor theory make. :smash:

When I got married (for the first time) I got married in the spouse's denomination which was Episcopalian ( called Anglican here). The veteran priest told me that because I was getting the sacrement done in an Anglican denomination...I was automatically shut out as an RC by the RCs!

I decided it was not a battle worth fighting. I saluted the old man's life by looking him in the eye as he changed the subject. LOL

sage954

Legalism is trying to earn God's grace through keeping strictly to a set of rules devised either by one's self or another human. These rules may be based on pieces of scriptured taken, and wrongly forced to stand alone, from the whole of God's word, or from what someone claims to be a direct revelation from God. Either way Legalism is an attempt to earn God's grace by keeping to an ABC check list through our own power and will. God knew that as humans we have this weakness, thus he gave us "The Law" to show us that we could not achieve a right relationship with him through our own power.