A Sad Day

B. White

Dumped the ash from the Akorn and the rust around mating surfaces was pretty bad compared to last time. I lost a lot of material and the piece that holds the center disk of the ash pan came out with the pan. I bought this one before I started seeing many posts about them on this site. I don't know for sure how many years I have had it, but maybe 8? I can get a little more from it. The wife asked if I was planning a funeral. Told her maybe, since it has been more dependable than most folks I know during that period of time.

If you see a sale in the next couple of months, please post it. I'll try to hold off a while.

Thanks.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
That ash pan track was the first thing to go in my first Akorn. Now, once a year, I disassemble, clean the whole grill, and hit that piece with some steel wool, then some grill paint, to try to prolong it's life.

Hang in there, man...:cry:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Dumped the ash from the Akorn and the rust around mating surfaces was pretty bad compared to last time. I lost a lot of material and the piece that holds the center disk of the ash pan came out with the pan. I bought this one before I started seeing many posts about them on this site. I don't know for sure how many years I have had it, but maybe 8? I can get a little more from it. The wife asked if I was planning a funeral. Told her maybe, since it has been more dependable than most folks I know during that period of time.

If you see a sale in the next couple of months, please post it. I'll try to hold off a while.

Thanks.
Sorry!!! I have one closing in on 10 years. Fortunately it's been on my porch most of its life. It has hinge issues but will still cook. I now have two on the porch. Hope you find a good deal.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Keep an eye on Wal-Mart, @B. White, seems like they go on sate there for $199 about once a year.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I had the same thing happen. You can order the ash pan direct from Char Griller.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've had mine for over 8 years now, and it's still in pretty good shape, but it lives on my covered porch. The side shelves are starting to get some rust, but the ash pan is still good so far.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Right now is probably the perfect time to buy a new one at the big-box stores as they try to unload their summer inventory.

pop pop jones

O

Thanks.
I feel your pain. The loop the ash pan hangs on, came off of mine. Now it just rides on the 2 latches that seal it up.

B. White

The price dropped on the version with the cart last week. I think I paid about the same as I did for my first one. I put it together and found a piece that appears to have had someone attempt a repair during manufacture. I sent pics and called and have the new part on the way. They did not want the old one returned, so it will be good to have a backup. I think the issue is only cosmetic. I knew they would take care of the problem, so not really a big deal and the spare part, if ever needed, is worth about $60.00. I might could have made the old one last longer, but I will give it to one of the kids and see how many more years he gets out of it.

I keep it in a detached garage and roll it out a few feet for each use. This means picking up the end without wheels. Not really that heavy, but it would be nice to have some type of low casters under the two legs without wheels, so I could spin it and then pull it out. I will have to research and see what I can find. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
@B. White hook a cheap hand truck under one leg to spin it then under both legs to pull it out. You could probably rig a way to mount the hand truck in position if you thought about it for a minute.

B. White

A rubbermaid trash can dolly is almost a perfect fit. There is only about 1/16 clearance, which is enough to roll if you have a level floor. I was going to rig up something so that any weight would be on the legs and not the horizontal panel, but I don't think it is necessary. If I add weight the legs are so close they touch the floor anyway. I think it will work good enough for now and a lot better than picking the end of the shelf up every time I roll it out to cook.

1603915713846.png

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A rubbermaid trash can dolly is almost a perfect fit. There is only about 1/16 clearance, which is enough to roll if you have a level floor. I was going to rig up something so that any weight would be on the legs and not the horizontal panel, but I don't think it is necessary. If I add weight the legs are so close they touch the floor anyway. I think it will work good enough for now and a lot better than picking the end of the shelf up every time I roll it out to cook.

View attachment 1046481
A long bungee cord will fix that right quick.

Oldstick

Ash pan definitely fills up with rain water somehow if left outside without a cover. Mine still kicking though after 7 or 8 years. I try to keep it covered with whatever I can find available, but I know it it just a matter of time before an "upgrade" will be needed.