A show to watch

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Midnight Mass on Netflix
It is an interesting spin on a vampire series with Christianity, Islam and Atheism fixated within the twist. A few scenes touched on some thoughts and conversations we have had in here.
Wife and I got through 5/7 episodes and will finish it tomorrow.
It isn't great but it has it's moments.

WaltL1

You lost me at "spin on a vampire series" :bounce:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
It just isnt what you think. Definitely not a typical vampire series. None of that modern Twilight type garbage.
My wife said to me at one point "did you and your buddies on GON write some of the script?"
It is religion based.
An Island Community has had their fishing livelihood ruined by an oil spill and a new Priest arrives and miracles start to happen. Their faith and fanaticism fuels the events.
It isnt Abbot and Costello meet Dracula and it isnt Blade and definitely isn't the younger generation Twilight saga crap. It was slow for the first episode and into the 2nd until backstories are established but there is a lot of relatable conversations that take place in the show that we talk about here.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
This is a good article that doesn't give any spoilers. Plus is has a preview.

WaltL1

It just isnt what you think. Definitely not a typical vampire series. None of that modern Twilight type garbage.
My wife said to me at one point "did you and your buddies on GON write some of the script?"
It is religion based.
An Island Community has had their fishing livelihood ruined by an oil spill and a new Priest arrives and miracles start to happen. Their faith and fanaticism fuels the events.
It isnt Abbot and Costello meet Dracula and it isnt Blade and definitely isn't the younger generation Twilight saga crap. It was slow for the first episode and into the 2nd until backstories are established but there is a lot of relatable conversations that take place in the show that we talk about here.
Ok that sounds alot more interesting.
I quickly lose interest in that other hokey vampire stuff :bounce:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Ok that sounds alot more interesting.
I quickly lose interest in that other hokey vampire stuff :bounce:
Absolutely
And to add...I wouldn't recommend something in here that didn't hit home with subjects and points that have come up in discussion here regularly.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
We finished watching the series tonight. If definitely relates to conversations had in here.

oldfella1962

Wait - this isn't the vampire show Herschel Walker was rambling about a few weeks ago, is it? Because Herschel's story was packed with spoilers. :(

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Wait - this isn't the vampire show Herschel Walker was rambling about a few weeks ago, is it? Because Herschel's story was packed with spoilers. :(
I have no idea.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
It's been a while, but I liked it pretty good from what I recall. Definitely wasn't your run-of-the-mill vampire story. Some interesting themes, too. It held our interest well.

ambush80

We just finished it. It was a good story with interesting characters and good metaphors. They could have done it in a two hour movie. I wish I could have watched some of it at 1.5 speed.

What do you think the demon represented? I think it might have represented science or reason. It seemed more like a dispassionate force of nature than a character.

Lots of complex symbolism. I wonder why the priest's plan was thwarted by a Muslim.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
We just finished it. It was a good story with interesting characters and good metaphors. They could have done it in a two hour movie. I wish I could have watched some of it at 1.5 speed.

What do you think the demon represented? I think it might have represented science or reason. It seemed more like a dispassionate force of nature than a character.

Lots of complex symbolism. I wonder why the priest's plan was thwarted by a Muslim.
I was hoping you'd watch it.

I think that the Demon represented many things due to complex symbolisms. Anti-Christ /Savior and then the fanaticism of the people that allows some to want something so bad that anything powerful can become their focus of worship. Lead/follow type thing.

The Muslim was a good character to use as another religious source that was outside of the religious ways of the locals. He may have thought the body/blood practices of Christianty to be what the viewers got to see in the storyline.

We also thought that the characters, storyline and especially the metaphors were very good. It definitely could have been shorter and eliminated some fluff.

I dont want to get too into discussion just yet it in case some others are going to check it out.

ambush80

I was hoping you'd watch it.

I think that the Demon represented many things due to complex symbolisms. Anti-Christ /Savior and then the fanaticism of the people that allows some to want something so bad that anything powerful can become their focus of worship. Lead/follow type thing.

The Muslim was a good character to use as another religious source that was outside of the religious ways of the locals. He may have thought the body/blood practices of Christianty to be what the viewers got to see in the storyline.

We also thought that the characters, storyline and especially the metaphors were very good. It definitely could have been shorter and eliminated some fluff.

I dont want to get too into discussion just yet it in case some others are going to check it out.
How about starting another thread about it with a spoiler alert warning?

660griz

Thanks all. I will check it out. Running out of stuff to watch. :)

660griz

Well, I started watching the first episode. I said, "hmmm, this looks familiar." Check all episodes and I have watched them all. :) Dang Covid. lol

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Well, I started watching the first episode. I said, "hmmm, this looks familiar." Check all episodes and I have watched them all. :) Dang Covid. lol
Throw some of your thoughts about it over in Ambush80's thread.