A special thanks to Nick Skinner and his tracking dog

FMBear

This past weekend was one of memorable success. Ended muzzleloader with a nice doe.
Opening afternoon of rifle season I had a target buck come out at the backend of a 200 yard shooting lane and it didn't stick around long enough for a shot.
So the next afternoon, I sprayed one boot with doe in heat and the other with buck urine, and walked all the way down to the end of the shooting lane. Once at the end, I resprayed my boots and walked all the way back.
An hour and 45 minutes later, the scent trail worked, as the buck came out and stayed, sniffing the scent trail and looking up and down the shooting lane trying to figure out where the scent was leading, and gave me ample time to set up for a heart shot.
The problem was, our lease was cut for pulp wood 3 seasons back, and now the briar and pine regrowth made tracking next to impossible. While the deer only went about 70 yards, tracking was impossible through the briars.
The next morning Nick Skinner and his awesome blood hound showed up and I had my hands on my buck in about 10 minutes.
It was no fun dragging that buck out through the briars, but I was so relieved for the recovery!

Attachments

• Muzzle Loader Camp.jpg
    Muzzle Loader Camp.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 297
  • Rock Eagle Buck b.jpg
    Rock Eagle Buck b.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 320
  • Rock Eagle Buck c.jpg
    Rock Eagle Buck c.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 323
  • Rock Eagle Buck Dog Recovery.jpg
    Rock Eagle Buck Dog Recovery.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 292

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Congrats on a great buck!!

buckpasser

Nice one!

Big7

The Oracle
Excellent !!!

jbogg

That’s a great deer Fred! Sounds like you may need to keep Nick on your speed dial if you have any of those other brutes step out.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Both fine deer! Glad you stayed with it and called the pup in too

Congrats man!

slow motion

Congratulations sir. That's a good un.