A spur of the moment trip.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I had a trip set for last week at the Palometa Club in Mexico but a tropical depression led to the lodge cancelling our trip. Well, I had some time off from work for this trip and decided to do a spur of the moment trip to the Keys to see if the bonefish fishery is in fact recovering from its recent decades long downturn. The conditions were far from stellar when I was fishing, the winds were ripping at around 15 to 23kts the whole time leading to many of the flats being dingy with no visibility and throw in the clouds and it made for some hard fishing. Winds are always a thing this time of year in the Keys so throwing flies became a challenge, luckily you seldom needed more than a 40 or so foot cast because it was hard to spot the fish further than that due to the rippled water. On the ocean side it was whitecapped so we had to find semi-sheltered flats in the mangroves. We found fish but they were not that aggressive and showed little interest in the traditional Keys flies. Once we switched to smaller brighter colored flies that are used in Belize and the Yucatan, the bonefish showed more interest. It was tough fishing with tough conditions, but I did get to hear my Tibor Everglades' drag scream some. 284262178_10216488740969992_3816393291214513013_n.jpg