A/T American made truck tire

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
BFG's will last but the tread design is worthless offroad, they clog up with mud and you might as well have slicks , I'll be buying a new set of AT's in the next couple months, currently running Cooper SST Pro, love the tread design, but they haven't lasted very long, great in mud though, I'll go with a less aggressive tread next time, Goodyear Wranglers do last a long time, and the tread is decent in mud,

I'll try to find a tread design with one continuous unbroken rib , tires like that consistently run smoother, quieter and last longer, but manufacturers have gotten away from that ,, I guess because the tire last too long for their tastes ? Everything now is all broken up, nothing continuous,, everything seems to be either blocky tread, very aggressive, or street tire design, I realize the majority of 4wd owners now a days never go offroad,,, but some of us who have trucks actually use them like trucks, and do go offroad sometimes, there is a way to compromise and have a tread design that self cleans and yet lasts a decent amount of time on road.
With my situation, I drive 80 miles a day on pavement. Also, in the winter, when it snows (which is about once-twice a week here,) I still HAVE to make that 80-mile trip. So I need something that will handle snow really well. I also go off-road in the mud here in the mountains pretty often, but if I buy a tire that is designed primarily for that, it doesn't last at all on the road, and is loud as the dickens. So, the Wrangler/Edge type A/Ts are the best compromise for me.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Taking notes here.. about to order some for my son’s Tacoma. I just put Perrelli Scorpions on my Truck. I like them so far. No idea where that were made though.

transfixer

The majority of tires are now made in other countries if I'm not mistaken, Coopers are supposed to still be made here, and Toyo has a tire plant up above Cartersville ,Ga, the others all may very well be made overseas ? I had a set of Nexen AT tires on my last truck, I'd never heard of them before, and I think they were made in Korea ? but I got over 40k miles out of them, the majority of which were back and forth to work on the highways. Never had a problem with them, so I guess sometimes overseas doesn't mean bad ?

lonewolf247

BFG's will last but the tread design is worthless offroad, they clog up with mud and you might as well have slicks , I'll be buying a new set of AT's in the next couple months, currently running Cooper SST Pro, love the tread design, but they haven't lasted very long, great in mud though, I'll go with a less aggressive tread next time, Goodyear Wranglers do last a long time, and the tread is decent in mud,

Your not lying about the traction, with the BFG AT tires! I was brand partial WAAAAY back in the day, and ran several sets of BFG tires. The AT tires would get stuck in wet clover, and absolutely awful offroad. The BFG MT on the other hand wasn't really bad off road, and road well on the road too, for a mud tire.

Other good MT tire for me were the Firestone MT. Like all mud tires I find though, they ride well and quiet on the road for about 20,000 miles, then they punish you with rough ride and noise for about another 10,000-15,000 or so, until you can't wait to get rid of them!

Back in the day, Gateway Gumbo Mudders, and Buckshot Mudders, as well as the old CO'OP Spur tires, were well represented down in my parts. I think they actually recently brought the Bias Buckshot Mudders back into stock!

At this point in time, I have a mix between onroad, and some offroad, but just can't really justify MT tires on my daily driver. I don't travel interstates daily, but I do at times, and AT tires is about aggressive as I can go.

Also, I see people saying they got 80,000-100,00 miles on a set of tires, and I believe that to be true. When I had a Toyota truck in 1984, with a set of BFG AT, I got about 95,000 out of a set of them. However that was a much lighter truck, and I was a much younger man, and not afraid to run my tires down to slicks, lol. Today in a 2500HD, pulling my bay boat 3 hours, and sometimes at interstate speeds, I'm not going to push that limit like that. If I get 50,000-60,000, out of a set of tires, I'm happy!

Ive been running some form of the Cooper AT3's for many years.

I almost bought a set of them, a while back, but ended up going with the Grabber AT2. The Cooper AT3 had good reviews though. I'm not quite so brand partial as I used to be years ago. I think there are many good tire companies out there. I usually look for the best priced tires, with good reviews.

transfixer

The Gateway Gumbo Mudders were awesome off road tires, back then I had a 2wd Ford van I used for camping and hunting, I had a set of wheels for fall and winter with Gumbo mudders on the rear, and skinny squared edge tires for the front, I could go almost anywhere a 4wd could go, as long as I did my part, those tires would dig ! the Buckshot mudders were just as good, although I never owned a set of those.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
What do you all recommend I replace my " All Terrain"(Vietnam)with-must be American made.
Thanks
I don't know if they are made in America or not but I am on my second set of nitto terra grapplers. They have been great tires. I am not the best at regular rotations or pressure checks but the 1st set went to 65,000 on my Silverado and could have probably went another 10,000 but I was wondering how they would continue to perform offroad. I think i rotated them 3 times. I used them in many types of terrain from rocks to red clay mud to south georgia swamp mud and sand and they did all i ever asked of them. The second set has about 24,000 on them and i still love em.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have also had good results with Cooper tires.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I don't know if they are made in America or not but I am on my second set of nitto terra grapplers. They have been great tires. I am not the best at regular rotations or pressure checks but the 1st set went to 65,000 on my Silverado and could have probably went another 10,000 but I was wondering how they would continue to perform offroad. I think i rotated them 3 times. I used them in many types of terrain from rocks to red clay mud to south georgia swamp mud and sand and they did all i ever asked of them. The second set has about 24,000 on them and i still love em.

+1 These are what I have on my Ram 1500 4wd.

For a decent lug style tread they wear amazingly well. I got 70,000+ on my first set. Just put on #2. Run em at 60 lbs pressure.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Ive been running some form of the Cooper AT3's for many years. View attachment 997969

That's what I put on my wife's SUV. They've been very good. I've run the Cooper Zeon LTZ on my last truck, and this truck had Pirellis on it when I bought it. When they wear out, I'll probably go back to Coopers.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Huh! Michelin has tire plants Greenville SC, Spartanburg SC Lexington SC and, Dothan Alabama and not to mention other states!
When i was in the tire business about 12 years ago we were told they were going to begin manufacturing overseas.

hdgapeach

Huh! Michelin has tire plants Greenville SC, Spartanburg SC Lexington SC and, Dothan Alabama and not to mention other states!

Yeah, that comment made me scratch my head, too. There's a huge Michelin tire plant right on Hwy 76 outside of Sandy Springs, SC. That one's been there most of my life. A couple of my relatives used to work at that location.

280 Man

Banned
Yeah, that comment made me scratch my head, too. There's a huge Michelin tire plant right on Hwy 76 outside of Sandy Springs, SC. That one's been there most of my life. A couple of my relatives used to work at that location.

My father retired from that plant.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When I bought a new truck a couple years ago, I made them take my 20k Kelly Edge A/Ts off my old one to replace the Hankook tires on the new one. It blew their mind.

Buckman18

Last set I bought, two out of four, the tread separated from the carcass within 30k. One of them took my brake line with it. I want no more Michelins. And they were expensive.

I put Michelins on my big, hairy, American winning machine Chevy Z71, and they were junk! I was very disappointed! They were done in 38k and were about $950. Rotated every other oil change. I wonder if they have the same parent company as Remington? :unsure:

I have Generals on it now, too early to tell.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I put Michelins on my big, hairy, American winning machine Chevy Z71, and they were junk! I was very disappointed! They were done in 38k and were about $950. Rotated every other oil change. I wonder if they have the same parent company as Remington? :unsure:

I have Generals on it now, too early to tell.

went from the frying pan right into the hottest part of the fire, didn't you?

I can't get a set of Generals to run 30k.