A tour of the Bear Archery factory

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
When Mike Huston (4nolz) put together Penny Banks birthday hunt the big suprise was a tour of the Bear Factory in Gainesville, FL. . This was an awesome tour!!!!!!!!!! To say i was impressed is an understatement. Bear still uses most of the same forms from the Grayling days and nothing is done by CNC machines.....WOW ........all bows are built by hand one at a time (just by several differant folks. The following is a little tour of the plant.

John Cooper

Here is what greets you when you pull in to park.

PBBBBH037.jpg

PBBBBH038.jpg

Step thru the doors and you see this

PBBBBH036.jpg

here are some of the forms

PBBBBH009.jpg

PBBBBH011.jpg

John Cooper

some riser's ready to glue limbs onto.

PBBBBH012.jpg

PBBBBH018.jpg

John Cooper

some of the bows in differant stages of compleation.

PBBBBH023.jpg

PBBBBH022.jpg

PBBBBH014.jpg

John Cooper

this is a demo longbow they built in gainesville and are sending it to the head-quarters for the final say so........

Hey T-bug think you might like to order one in Pank ????????

PBBBBH032.jpg

John Cooper

this was a sample bow, but dang they wouldn't let us have any.......LOL

PBBBBH031.jpg

more sample bows

PBBBBH015.jpg

John Cooper

we also got to tour the compound side too ........but i didn't take any pics of that part......:D:D:D

as you leave the plant this little sign says it all.

PBBBBH039.jpg

John Cooper

I hope everyone enjoys the photo's. I know i enjoyed the tour. Again i just wana say thanks to 4nolz for putting on this hunt for one of his best friends 65th birthday. Mike is a whale of a guy that has a heart as big as Texas and i am honored to call him a friend.

PBBBBH001.jpg

PBBBBH065.jpg

MudDucker

Staff member
Someone told me that they had moved the museum out of Gainesville. I went before it was moved and it was an awesome testament to old Fred.

gblrklr

Great post John!

Someone told me that they had moved the museum out of Gainesville. I went before it was moved and it was an awesome testament to old Fred.

Definitely gone, I think the stuff was sold to Basspro?. I was able to see it while it was in Gainesville too, and it was great.

gregg dudley

Bear still makes quality traditional bows and backs their products. I wish you could have seen the place beofre they sold the Fred Bear Museum to Bass Pro Shop. It was truly impressive. I have fond memories of visiting during my time in Gainesville as a student at UF. Fred Bear had passed away, but Frank Scott was still there and he was a fine gentleman and a true ambassador of the sport.

Thanks for sharing.

Gregg

John Cooper

i got to go to the museum when i lived in FL.(way back when) and it was awesome!!!!!!!!! i thought this was cool cause it was like a guided tour with just us folks down for the hunt.