A trip that took decades to complete

Tugboat1

In the late 70's my father retired from the military and moved our family to Dublin, his hometown. The Oconee River caught my attention quick and I spent many nights on it's banks fishing for whatever would cooperate. For me, it had a Huck Finn mistique about it. An adventurous young man conjured up the thought of floating it from Milledgeville dam to it's confluence with the Ocmulgee.
In college, my two roommates floated the stretch from Milledgeville to Dublin twice. I loved it.
What about going all the way to Darien? It kept entering my mind throughout the years.
I unexpectedly sat in lockdown in Ireland during the beginning of the covid outbreak and stayed there seven months, unable to leave. I pondered freedom a lot. I thought about the upcoming year beginning my sixth decade. I decided to do it.
I just completed the 168.7 mile journey in a canoe from Brickyard Landing in East Dublin to Altamaha Regional Park, where the water begins being influenced by tides.. It was a wonder filled trip.
My only rule was that I would not be beholden to time nor itinerary. It was not a race. It was not a fishing trip. It was a leisurely float down two of Georgia's premier waterways as an observer.
I completed in eight days, in low water, by paying close attention to the current or lack thereof. My mantra became " The river isn't in a hurry, you don't have to be either". I had guessed it would take two weeks.
The rewards were many. From exciting animal encounters to meeting good and interesting people. A tranquil mind and a full heart. Beauty all about.
There's just something about moving water. It has a power.

turkeykirk

Sounds like a great trip.?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
When you passed by Clark`s Bluff, about 12 or so miles before you got to the Three Rivers, you were in my old stomping grounds where I grew up.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
In the late 70's my father retired from the military and moved our family to Dublin, his hometown. The Oconee River caught my attention quick and I spent many nights on it's banks fishing for whatever would cooperate. For me, it had a Huck Finn mistique about it. An adventurous young man conjured up the thought of floating it from Milledgeville dam to it's confluence with the Ocmulgee.
In college, my two roommates floated the stretch from Milledgeville to Dublin twice. I loved it.
What about going all the way to Darien? It kept entering my mind throughout the years.
I unexpectedly sat in lockdown in Ireland during the beginning of the covid outbreak and stayed there seven months, unable to leave. I pondered freedom a lot. I thought about the upcoming year beginning my sixth decade. I decided to do it.
I just completed the 168.7 mile journey in a canoe from Brickyard Landing in East Dublin to Altamaha Regional Park, where the water begins being influenced by tides.. It was a wonder filled trip.
My only rule was that I would not be beholden to time nor itinerary. It was not a race. It was not a fishing trip. It was a leisurely float down two of Georgia's premier waterways as an observer.
I completed in eight days, in low water, by paying close attention to the current or lack thereof. My mantra became " The river isn't in a hurry, you don't have to be either". I had guessed it would take two weeks.
The rewards were many. From exciting animal encounters to meeting good and interesting people. A tranquil mind and a full heart. Beauty all about.
My dream river trip was on the Ocmulgee from Lake Jackson dam to Ocean via theAltamaha. Fished up and down some over the years but never made the full trip. Job and family responsibilities and passing time took care of that. Glad to hear you did yours!

GA1dad

What an awesome experience!!! Good on you for fulfilling a dream!!!

GA1dad

My dream river trip was on the Ocmulgee from Lake Jackson dam to Ocean via theAltamaha. Fished up and down some over the years but never made the full trip. Job and family responsibilities and passing time took care of that. Glad to hear you did yours!

As my uncle is always telling me,,,, Life Is Consuming.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve floated the Oconee from Milledgeville to Dublin numerous times in canoe to kayak. Before the uptown folks built Lake Oconee, I spent many a night on the river banks.
You had an awesome trip. I have a friend that went from Milledgeville to Hyway 17 on the coast every year on his vacation. He used a Jon-boat with a 15 hp motor. I would enjoy your trip

Tugboat1

When you passed by Clark`s Bluff, about 12 or so miles before you got to the Three Rivers, you were in my old stomping grounds where I grew up.

Nick, I thought about your Carolina dog.

SASS249

Best kind of trip. I have a lot if problems convincing paddling partners that the trip is the thing, not the destignation. Sounds liike you have that down. The Altamaha system is one that people really should experience, It is one of the wonders of Georgia and hard to match anywhere. Glad you made it.

Tugboat1

Best kind of trip. I have a lot if problems convincing paddling partners that the trip is the thing, not the destignation. Sounds liike you have that down. The Altamaha system is one that people really should experience, It is one of the wonders of Georgia and hard to match anywhere. Glad you made it.

Thank you. The Altamaha is a jewel.

Longhunter

Awesome! That's 21 mi. a day; not leasurely, you were moving right along! I have a few long trips in mind as well. You are inspiring me to get in the water.

Tugboat1

Awesome! That's 21 mi. a day; not leasurely, you were moving right along! I have a few long trips in mind as well. You are inspiring me to get in the water.
I wasn't keeping track and with the low water I was expecting half that. The only time I dug in was in a headwind, other than that, I focused on the current. Labor Day crowds helped push me along through Baxley and Jesup when I did a few hours paddling at night twice. I'm pleased you are inspired.

Tugboat1

Both rivers are jewels but the Altamaha and surrounding swampland are truly stand out.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What a awesome trip ! Back in my younger days me and a few friends floated from near Jacksonville ga to the Jesup area a few times .

tad1

Very intrigued by your trip! I have seen/boated much of that river back when I was doing fisheries work. Spent most of my time from below dam to Dublin. Did spend some time around the confluence and down where the big river gets tidal influence. I’ve always wanted to do that exact stretch. That’s awesome on you! Life has been getting in the way for me too lately…

Tugboat1

Days between hotels if there are any
Not sure because hotels didn't factor into my planning. There's a few developed campgrounds it seems along the way.