A walk in the Fox Squirrel Woods

Mack in N.C.

Here is a look at some of the land where I hunt Fox squirrels. I show what they eat etc. I didn,t get one this day but at the end you can see some I have harvested in the past. Enjoy.

4x4

Just curious, why do you fox squirrel hunt? What do you do with them when you shoot em? There are like 100 grey squirrels to every fox squirrel. I would't think they would be good to eat considering their size and diet, but I could be wrong, I've never eaten one.

Hillbilly stalker

It depends where your at. In the Sandhills you see 5:1 fox squirrels. They eat just as good as greys as long as you remove their glands and par boil them first. Their a little stout tasting when their rutting. I generally tree a lot f them but usually give them a pass.

Mack in N.C.

Just curious, why do you fox squirrel hunt? What do you do with them when you shoot em? There are like 100 grey squirrels to every fox squirrel. I would't think they would be good to eat considering their size and diet, but I could be wrong, I've never eaten one.

Why not hunt them? I do hunt gray squirrels more than Fox's but like Hillbilly said where I hunt in the sandhills you dont see many grays. they eat jsut as well as a grey and there are plenty of them.

4x4

Why not hunt them? I do hunt gray squirrels more than Fox's but like Hillbilly said where I hunt in the sandhills you dont see many grays. they eat jsut as well as a grey and there are plenty of them.

I WISH we had that kind of population around here. We have them, but not a huntable population.