AC killing power to most of my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tight Lines

Most HVAC systems, at least reasonably modern ones, have a breaker for both the air handler and the compressor, as well as a switch at the air handler and a disconnect at the compressor. The thermostat doesn't have the ability to turn them on or off from a power perspective, it can just activate them. It is a relay in effect. I would turn them all off for 5 minutes, including the thermostat if it is an electronic version, then turn them on and set the thermostat to a few degrees cooler than the house. Within a few minutes it should kick on...

ryanh487

I hope you're right. I turned off both breakers and the thermostat for a few minutes and cycled them back on. Air is coming from the vents and it's a little cooler than room temp but the AC isn't blasting like it should to bring it down from 78 to 70 and the fan/ compressor outside still isn't running.

I hope you're right. I turned off both breakers and the thermostat for a few minutes and cycled them back on. Air is coming from the vents and it's a little cooler than room temp but the AC isn't blasting like it should to bring it down from 78 to 70 and the fan/ compressor outside still isn't running.
You won't want to hear this, but all the circuits that were working intermittently when you lost a leg were back feeding through that motor. When the motor lost a leg, it turned from an inductive load to a resistive load and started heating up. It could have fried it.

Tight Lines

There may be a thermal reset or push button breaker on the compressor unit...not sure but at least one of mine has one...

Wayne D Davis

Your ac is probably the most sensitive appliance in home. I'm willing to bet something cooked. Amazing it hasn't happened sooner with the damaged SE

ryanh487

I looked in person and searched online, my unit doesn't have a thermal reset. Capacitor is humming but no condenser or fan running outside. Just requested another HVAC appointment.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If your unit is bad and it’s the older R22 type and the compressor is bad you will probably need to upgrade to a R410 unit

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It should be 410a and worth repairing.

Cmp1

BANNED
I looked in person and searched online, my unit doesn't have a thermal reset. Capacitor is humming but no condenser or fan running outside. Just requested another HVAC appointment.
If your lucky,it's the cap,,,,first thing to go,besides the contactor,,,,

ryanh487

Whatever it is I hope it's cheap. It's not a manufacturer fault so I wouldn't expect warranty to cover it and I really don't want to spend $1500-2000 on a new condenser.

Sixes

I would start a hard argument with the power company that their damaged line caused the issue. Most utility companies do not want a lot of bad publicity or complaining. If you can prove the issue was from the damaged line, contact the PSC, your matter will be resolved quickly

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I would start a hard argument with the power company that their damaged line caused the issue. Most utility companies do not want a lot of bad publicity or complaining. If you can prove the issue was from the damaged line, contact the PSC, your matter will be resolved quickly
Exactly what I was gonna recommend

ryanh487

Yeah I'm gonna call them in the morning and attempt to get reimbursed for the electrician and the HVAC visit. I could see how they would blame the gas company and say it's not their fault since their work wasn't defective and worked fine for 21 years but it won't hurt anything to ask.

Lukikus2

What is humming? You guys don't flame me for saying. If it's the fan motor stick something in there and try to get it turning. Sometimes works.

Status
Not open for further replies.