Academy sports new rules on AR accessories

transfixer

My stepson went to Academy yesterday to get a section of pic rail for the handguard on an AR, just one of the small two or three inch magpul plastic m-lok rail sections, after looking in the appropriate section at Academy he didn't see any, then he noticed a glass case that was locked, inside were the magpul accessories, he went to the counter and asked the one salesperson about opening the case, and inquired as to why they are locking up accessories like that ?

Guy said they had changed the rules, any AR accessory has to be kept under lock and key, and either paid for at the gun counter, or the employee has to walk it up to the front registers and leave it for the customer ,,,, my stepson used to work part time at Academy when he first got into law enforcement,, actually worked the gun counter, back then they only walked up actual firearms, no accessories, no bullets, etc,etc,

kind of ridiculous in my opinion, and my stepson's as well, and this wasn't in a bad section of town, this was in Cartersville, just wondered if anyone else has seen this at other stores ?

I haven't bought anything from the Academy gun section in over 3 months, they never have anything I want anyway.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I went into the Academy in Warner Robins yesterday to check out the fishing section (which sucked)... then I noticed...no ammo, a couple of guns, very few accessories.

Doubt I will waste my time going in there again.

LittleDrummerBoy

I expect for most, if they have something desired at a good price, they are going to pay and get the goods.

How many of us would walk away from decent 9mm ammo for $0.20 a round just because it is at Academy? $0.05 a round 22 LR?

transfixer

I expect for most, if they have something desired at a good price, they are going to pay and get the goods.

How many of us would walk away from decent 9mm ammo for $0.20 a round just because it is at Academy? $0.05 a round 22 LR?

I haven't had anything against Academy so far, I hope they don't give me a reason to abandon them, I generally buy my hunting clothes there, and have bought a couple coolers there in the last year, used to always buy my 9mm range ammo there before it got ridiculous, I reload most all my ammo for hunting, so I have no need to buy that, and have plenty of components to reload 9mm and 40cal, I just don't like doing it because they're so small and its time consuming.

but yes, if the ammo cam back down to $10 a box for practice 9mm, I'd still buy

ryanh487

In the current climate of shortages there's big profits to be made on sites like gunbroker for all AR accessories. Even bigger if you buy them with a 5 finger discount. As long as they aren't checking IDs or running background checks for purchases i would assume it's a loss prevention strategy over a political one.

transfixer

In the current climate of shortages there's big profits to be made on sites like gunbroker for all AR accessories. Even bigger if you buy them with a 5 finger discount. As long as they aren't checking IDs or running background checks for purchases i would assume it's a loss prevention strategy over a political one.

Academy's selection of AR accessories was never anything to talk about, mostly magpul stuff, and nothing other than standard items, my stepson and I both normally buy anything AR related from a few select sites online, neither one of us would go there specifically for something for an AR, only reason he was in there was his wife was returning some workout clothing, while he was waiting he figured he would pick up a pic rail if they had one, (for an AR9 he built for his wife )

I have a hard time believing theft of AR accessories is a "thing" now ,, especially in Cartersville

lonewolf247

I bought 2 firearms from Academy lately. Filled out paperwork, and had the employee, meet me up front at the register to check out. Handed me the gun at the door, after the transaction was done. Seems to be the protocol.

Other than that, I have bought ammo 3 or 4 times, picked up some in the back, then other popular calibers in the front. No hassle about handling ammo, yet...However, 2 box limit per day, per customer, regardless of how many rounds in the box, or if you want multiple calibers. 2 boxes only!

I haven't bought anything AR related, so I can't say on that. I will keep an eye on them. Hopefully, their not going the route of some of the other stores. I think/hope, they realize the importance of firearms, ammo, and shooting supplies, and what it means to the success of their stores!

rosewood

has anyone else found this to be the case that the other Academy's?

rosewood

Some Walmart's lock up their flashlight. Reckon that must be for PC reasons?

Academy also locks up their arrowheads.

Last edited:

killerv

has to be shoplifting related, the Macon store gets hit hard so it wouldn't surprise me if they end up doing this. I've been in the dressing room to find shooting related empty packages on the floor and have to tell the associate that it wasn't me if they started checking cameras. Last time was a beretta c02 pistol package, associate says theyve had as many as 3 a day stolen to their knowledge.

Last edited:

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I went to academy last week wanted a new tackle box. I noticed it was heavy, looked in it and found 200 rounds (4 boxes) of .22 LR. I took it to the guys at the gun counter, they said it happens all the time. SMH

Nimrod71

Let me tell you, there are people out there that love to steal stuff. They steal for the fun of it, for the high they get, kind of like drugs. I has seen several people steal from a local C store. Three of the times I knew the young people and they have money they could have paid. One of them saw me watching her and she went back in the store and paid for the candy bars she had put in her pocket. The other two times they just got in the cars and drove off.

At our LGS I have found empty bullet boxes and empty cartridge boxes where people have opened the boxes and put the stuff in their pockets.

With prices on everything going up I expect to see more theft.

biggdogg

I can see theft of pretty much ANY available AR accessories being an issue. With the current political climate, I'd imagine the resale value on the street will only increase. Thieves are going to try and line their pockets. I'm inclined to believe Academy is attempting to protect their inventory.