Academy sports new rules on AR accessories

rosewood

I went to academy last week wanted a new tackle box. I noticed it was heavy, looked in it and found 200 rounds (4 boxes) of .22 LR. I took it to the guys at the gun counter, they said it happens all the time. SMH
You should have bought your 2 box quota. They are hard to find. I am betting someone bought their 2 box quota and stashed those for their friend to come and pick up some after work. You foiled the plan.

This may be why they now require you to purchase your ammo before shopping on their Monday and Thursday delivery day ammo rush.

Rosewood

Last edited:

ryanh487

Academy's selection of AR accessories was never anything to talk about, mostly magpul stuff, and nothing other than standard items, my stepson and I both normally buy anything AR related from a few select sites online, neither one of us would go there specifically for something for an AR, only reason he was in there was his wife was returning some workout clothing, while he was waiting he figured he would pick up a pic rail if they had one, (for an AR9 he built for his wife )

I have a hard time believing theft of AR accessories is a "thing" now ,, especially in Cartersville

Anywhere meth is a thing then theft is a thing. If you don't think cartersville has a meth problem, i suggest you do a little late night recon at the local walmart.

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

For awhile they had their handgun mags behind the counter. Been a few years back, but they said it was because of theft. Must have died down.

Rosewood

Dub

Anywhere meth is a thing then theft is a thing. If you don't think cartersville has a meth problem, i suggest you do a little late night recon at the local walmart.

Truth spoken.

Once the door to meth is opened... it doesn't take long to sink it's hooks into them and take them down along with those closest to them.

Theft, violent behavior and altered brain chemistry all in the mix.

transfixer

I am well aware of that, meth is actually only part of the issue around there and north of there, heroin and fentanyl is very prevalent in that area as well, having been in that store I just didn't equate theft being a problem there.

rosewood

I stopped by the academy in Warner Robins this evening. All of their AR stuff is still on the Shelf. Nothing is locked up

Last edited:

chase870

Possum Sox
I would bet Academy has enough stores in areas where they cite and release shoplifters that they have to do this. Bail Reform / Criminal Justice Reform are a big reason you see this. If all you get is a ticket, no arrest and secured bail you have no reason to not shoplift all day every day.

rosewood

"Criminal Justice Reform". That means criminals have to stay longer in prison for the victims to get justice and the criminals to be reformed right?

Geezer Ray

Just one of many harassment techniques coming, we will all need to learn patience and try to out last them. Hopefully they will go away with intelligence gains. VOTE EVERY TIME YOU GET A CHANCE.

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

Just one of many harassment techniques coming, we will all need to learn patience and try to out last them. Hopefully they will go away with intelligence gains. VOTE EVERY TIME YOU GET A CHANCE.
And if you are a demonrat, you can vote multiple times...

BeerThirty

I really think you guys are getting all worked up for nothing. Furthermore, it's like you're just waiting their to pounce the second Academy makes one bad move. Is it really that big of an inconvenience to you that they lock a few items up?

Personally, I really like Academy. In fact, they are my favorite store to shop at in the Newnan area. They have pretty much anything you would need, and their selection isn't all that bad, pricing too. I just hope they stay supportive of the 2A in principle. I'm not going to get my you-know-what in a wad over this...

krizia829

I used to work at Bass Pro for 7 years in the firearms/hunting dept and we had to keep certain items either locked, or behind the counter (and had to charge those items in the dept register) due to theft. We also had to walk customers to the front door when they'd purchase a firearm a few years back. I just went yesterday to see if I can get lucky and find some ammo and I was able to get me 2 boxes of 44 mag for my Ruger 44 carbine. Many times people were swapping out items from packages of same brand products and paying for it in registers that they knew those employees had no idea what it was or they'd take 1 or 2 rounds from a couple of boxes and would put it in their pocket. They'd always get caught because the eye in the sky was on them but as much as a pain it is, it's necessary. Especially for items such as ammunition that cannot be returned.. As long as they keep selling these products, doesn't bother me

Stroker

I stopped by the academy in Warner Robins this evening. All of their AR stuff is still on the Shelf. Nothing is locked up
Was in the Macon store Saturday and it was the same way.

rosewood

So I guess if it is a new store policy, either it is that store specific, or the other stores haven't gotten the memo yet. We will have to wait and see I guess.

Rosewood

Liberty

They lock up more expensive over the counter medicines at Dollar General around Columbus. I don’t work for Academy, but retail stores get robbed blind these days.

HavocLover

The time out generation has grown up. Add in the negotiable morals and values of said generation along with the normal, expected evolution of technology and here we are. A melting pot of our current state.

When you grow up and spend your whole pre-adult life not being held to any kind of standard, it’s no surprise morals and values just go to the wayside. Add in that if there was any discipline for these cats, it was a simple tongue lashing or just having privileges taken away for a day or two. Now here we are, they’re all grown up and simple self respect, common respect for fellow man, even taking pride in one’s appearance or speech… all simple things that were pretty standard and taken for granted, gone over night almost.

Now with technology, self check out in most stores and again, a lifetime of not being taught and disciplined on the little things, bam here we are. So while me and you might think it’s odd some of the simplest things are behind lock and key af the store, I feel like it’s much deeper and there’s obvious reasons we got to this point.

Lol wayyy deep and off topic for a relatively simple OG post, but just my 2 cent.

Dub

The time out generation has grown up. Add in the negotiable morals and values of said generation along with the normal, expected evolution of technology and here we are. A melting pot of our current state.

When you grow up and spend your whole pre-adult life not being held to any kind of standard, it’s no surprise morals and values just go to the wayside. Add in that if there was any discipline for these cats, it was a simple tongue lashing or just having privileges taken away for a day or two. Now here we are, they’re all grown up and simple self respect, common respect for fellow man, even taking pride in one’s appearance or speech… all simple things that were pretty standard and taken for granted, gone over night almost.

Now with technology, self check out in most stores and again, a lifetime of not being taught and disciplined on the little things, bam here we are. So while me and you might think it’s odd some of the simplest things are behind lock and key af the store, I feel like it’s much deeper and there’s obvious reasons we got to this point.

Lol wayyy deep and off topic for a relatively simple OG post, but just my 2 cent.

Spot on perfect assessment.

Complete agreement. (y)

Whitfield

keep trading at these large retail stores and enjoy your purchase,but remember its the little man that made this country.try to support him chances are he will know you by name,and will know from self taught experience what he is selling you.some of these clerks at these larger stores are there for a pay check only,could care less about a CUSTOMER or what they are selling,support your local GUN SHOP THEY KNOW AND APPRECIATE YOU