Acceptable caliber??

Back40hunter

What are your thoughts on a 22mag as a varmint rifle? I do not anticipate any shots over 100 yards. Will my little magnum do the job on a coyote?

Buckhead

I have taken Coyotes with both a .17 HMR and a .22 Mag. Both called in close with a Foxpro. They will spin and run unless you hit them in the head or neck. Attached is a pic of one I took with my CZ 452 in HMR.

Attachments

• FBEC5BCD-CAA1-4918-AFF9-C30CC6039D89.jpeg
    FBEC5BCD-CAA1-4918-AFF9-C30CC6039D89.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 63

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I like the 22 mag for calling coyotes in the woods. I always try for head shot. Even shot a couple hogs coming in to the rabbit cry.

blt152

I've shot several coyotes with a 22mag. The key is shot placement. If you want to put your hands on him right there, shoot them in the head. If not, shoot behind the shoulder in the heart and lungs and let the buzzards tell you where it is.

Geno67

Get some jacketed soft points and it'll knock the poop out of them.

Permitchaser

I’ve used my 22-250 for years but can’t find FP, BTHP, 55 gr. So I hand loaded some Barns X 50 gr. But can’t see where I hit them but they DRT. So I bought a Savage AR and loaded some 77gr. Sierra BTHP. Let’s see

Yotedawg

A thrown rock connecting in the right place will put one down. And it's easy to say, make a head or neck shot and it will kill him. If you are presented with that then it's an easy call, if you aren't then it's easier to say that than do it. We hunt them with 6mm creedmoors and have lost a couple with them. One we recovered was dragging 5 feet of guts behind her when she fell dead. Yes it was a bad shot, but she was recovered because of the damage even a bad shot created. They are tough suckers. Yes, hit them right and they will fall, but after killing my fair share, that perfect shot is a rarity. If that is all you have then go coyote hunting, but to cleanly kill when that perfect shot is not presented....well, there are better chamberings out there for coyotes. Just my opinion......

Pappy

I just posted a thread with pics of several I’ve killed in my backyard. About half were killed with 22 mag. Head shots. But also these were all within 30 yards. The others were with 223 and 22-250.
So yep. A 22 mag will get it done. Sensible range and placement.

Back40hunter

30grain hornady vmax is mean in the magnum. Not the best bullet for hogs though.
That’s what I have been shooting. Haven’t tried it on a hog though. Glad to know I need to look at something else before I pop a porker.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've had them run a good ways chest-shot with a .30-06, .300Winmag, and other centerfires. But that .22 mag will kill them just as dead as a bigger gun.