Acceptable caliber??

tree cutter 08

That’s what I have been shooting. Haven’t tried it on a hog though. Glad to know I need to look at something else before I pop a porker.
That hornady v max will be fine for in the ear shot. The gamepoint will penetrate into the biggest big head or if you get a good quartering away shot, behind the shoulder will be fine also. Won't bleed but still will penetrate and pop those lungs. I didn't shoot but I watched a 150 yard shot behind the shoulder on a 150 lb boar. That little 22 mag bullet was fully mushroomed and in the opposite hide just behind the shoulder. Ran about 30 yards.

Maybe it's because of my particular environment, but I almost never have the luxury of a one-shot kill of a yote with my 22LR. They are at 50 yd in constant fast motion--start and stop, zig and zag. So I keep the red dot on them as best I can while I pull the trigger as fast as I can. The Volquartsen hammer allows me about 3-4 shots/second or so. I keep firing until it hits the ground usually after about 2-3 seconds with at least 3 good hits.

GreenPig

With the 22 wmr I've had them Dead right there, collapse instantly and be gone when I attempted to retrieve, spin and run. Tried the fast varmint bullets and slower heavy bullets with basically the same results. Four out of ten escape but most likely die. I've had a 100% success on fox and bobcat with the 22 wmr but the yotes are simply harder to kill quickly. I either carry my 221 Fireball or 5.56 for yotes nowadays. All my predator hunting is in the dark so quick range estimation is difficult and a head or neck shot isn't always a option so I choose a more potent cartridge. It'll work but there are better options.

Back40hunter

With the 22 wmr I've had them Dead right there, collapse instantly and be gone when I attempted to retrieve, spin and run. Tried the fast varmint bullets and slower heavy bullets with basically the same results. Four out of ten escape but most likely die. I've had a 100% success on fox and bobcat with the 22 wmr but the yotes are simply harder to kill quickly. I either carry my 221 Fireball or 5.56 for yotes nowadays. All my predator hunting is in the dark so quick range estimation is difficult and a head or neck shot isn't always a option so I choose a more potent cartridge. It'll work but there are better options.
Thanks for the input. Those that run off do you think they eventually die or do you think they recover? I’m not concerned with pelts or retrieval. I’m just trying to save some fawns. So if a yote runs off and dies it’s fine by me.

GreenPig

Thanks for the input. Those that run off do you think they eventually die or do you think they recover? I’m not concerned with pelts or retrieval. I’m just trying to save some fawns. So if a yote runs off and dies it’s fine by me.
I believe most do die. The 22 wmr will work for your goal.

SuperCreech

I’m going to try my AR 10 is 7mm-08 this year with 140gr BT because it’s shoots bug holes .i will go back to my AR 15 when I find some ammo it’s shoots under 1”

22 magnum isnt a very good coyote gun. I have watched a lot of them run off a long ways with perfect shots. But thats just me. I dont even care for my .22 hornet. It is a bit light as well and its much more pwoerful than a .22 magnum.

Dusty Roads

I like my semi- 223 but it's soo dang loud-can't afford suppressor-yet.
Better off with a semi-auto/Like urban songdogsnipe said:zig zag,stop,speed changes,etc.
I like to inspect what I hit-got one that was both male & female once!!!

GreenPig

I love 22 magnums and have several, but after the last yote encounter I had with my CZ512 he spun around couple times and took off like a spacex rocket faster than I've ever seen one run ever. Took couple more shots on the run but apparently I wasn't keeping up. Granted, I hit him in the hip so once again shot placement is key but had I shot him with something more potent I believe he wouldn't have made it away so quick. Good luck.
Coyotes have perfected the Spin-N-Heal. I tried it myself, just keep Hurting-N-Bleeding.

Wayne D Davis

I popped a yote at point blank with my 835 ulti mag 12g. It knocked him 5 foot . He gets up and started away and I shot again this time in the rear end. That shot flipped him end over end. He still ran off and died Im sure

Bobby Bigtime

All of those rim fires are acceptable until they are not. I am a believer in use enough gun. Yes I have killed deer with a 22lr didn't make it acceptable. even lowly varmints deserve a quick dispatch. If one of those is all you have, borrow something better. The .223 class is acceptable. The biggest whitetail buck I ever helped drag, was taken with the obsolete 22 savage high power. Lucky but not recommended.

280 Man

Banned
I've had them run a good ways chest-shot with a .30-06, .300Winmag, and other centerfires. But that .22 mag will kill them just as dead as a bigger gun.

Ive killed several outside of trapping and Ive never had one one off!

These two were shot through the chest with a 154 gr SST out of a 280. Hammer dead at the spot. That yote in the bottom pic was shot kinda straight on through the chest!

oct 14 yotes1.jpegNov yote.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ive killed several outside of trapping and Ive never had one one off!

These two were shot through the chest with a 154 gr SST out of a 280. Hammer dead at the spot. That yote in the bottom pic was shot kinda straight on through the chest!

View attachment 1012562View attachment 1012563
I have killed quite a few over the years, chest shots with centerfire rifles. I have yet to have one drop in place, even with a .300Winmag.

Buckhead

Like others, have shot a few. Everything from .17 HMR to .270. Most incidentally while deer hunting or called in with Foxpro. Don’t think I have ever had one drop in its tracks. I aim for the boiler room and they always do the spin and run. Sometimes they only make it 20 feet, other times 100 yards.

Have used a .22 mag and it works at close range. Just be prepared to do some tracking and don’t expect to recover them all.