Accepted The Chronograph Is Gone

chuckdog

I’ve posted several times about my missing chronograph. I’ve now accepted the fact it’s likely not going to be found.

I placed an order for a mid grade replacement unit this morning. Got the Pro Chrono Deluxe from Competition Electronics coming from Midway.

I rather shred $100 bills than lose something, but no need to shred now.

I probably don’t really need one near as much as I just want another. Regardless of how often I use it once you have a chronograph then suddenly don’t, your need to know jumps dramatically.

Maybe I’ll list a couple boxes of 22LR on gunbroker to pay for it! ??

280 Man

Banned
I’ve posted several times about my missing chronograph. I’ve now accepted the fact it’s likely not going to be found.

I placed an order for a mid grade replacement unit this morning. Got the Pro Chrono Deluxe from Competition Electronics coming from Midway.

I rather shred $100 bills than lose something, but no need to shred now.

I probably don’t really need one near as much as I just want another. Regardless of how often I use it once you have a chronograph then suddenly don’t, your need to know jumps dramatically.

Maybe I’ll list a couple boxes of 22LR on gunbroker to pay for it! ??

I'm the same way about a chronograph. I don't need one cause I really don't care how fast. Of course I want good speed but accuracy is the most important thing and where I hunt, shots no further than 160 yds, animals don't know the difference between 2850 or 3000 fps

pdsniper

I have one of the Lab Radar units and it is fantastic but I do a lot of LE Ballistic research and long range shooting so I use it a lot but it is not cheap unit but wort every penny to me the bet part is no sky screens to set up and light or shadows dont affect it

chuckdog

My use will be more for handgun use than rifle.

I've had some seemingly wide velocity variation loads that have shot well in rifles out to two hundred yards.

The most enlightening information I gained in the beginning was finding that I was reaching the point of saturation long before I reached pressure signs and ran out of case capacity in most magnum handgun loads.

I'm loading more again, using newer or at least different powders than I have traditionally used.

I'm like Andy Griffith would say, "Curis, Curis, Curis!

GregoryB.

Chuckdog, I was just looking at that Chronograph last night. Not that I really need one but since most of Leupold's scopes come standard with the CDS now I may as well take advantage of it.

Dub

I'm hoping those CED units are as solid as all the reports indicate.

Picked up one on sale at Midway a couple months back. It appears to be extremely fast on the setup time.

@GregoryB. nailed it...similar desires on the CDS was one of the thoughts in mind when buying it. The other was helping with load development on virtually everything I'm shooting other than rimfire or muzzleloaders.

nmurph

I have a MagnetoSpeed. Easy to use, but it does push the POI up and to the left (but it is consistent). It's dead-nuts reliable and I can be shooting in less than 2 minutes from opening the box.

chuckdog

I have a MagnetoSpeed. Easy to use, but it does push the POI up and to the left (but it is consistent). It's dead-nuts reliable and I can be shooting in less than 2 minutes from opening the box.

This is one that’s exclusively for firearms or am I thinking of something else?

I still dabble with archery, so the more traditional type is more up my alley.

JeffinPTC

After shooting the bayonet the second time, I gave up on my Magnetospeed. The bayo was around $180 to replace.
I do have issues with light using the old one, but it doesn't affect poi.

frankwright

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016955798?pid=169483
I saw this one reviewed one one of the shooting shows and I like it. It avoids the problem with sun/cloudy or indoor readings, and it connects to your smart phone.
I have an F1 Chrony I have used for years. I use it a good bit as they chrono your rounds at big matches to be sure you make a required power factor.
People get disqualified at almost every match for failing chrono.
It is interesting when using a chrono to see how close some standard deviations can be.

Reactions: Dub

rattlesnake1

I have one of the Lab Radar units and it is fantastic but I do a lot of LE Ballistic research and long range shooting so I use it a lot but it is not cheap unit but wort every penny to me the bet part is no sky screens to set up and light or shadows dont affect it
Which base do you use ? I bought one but haven't found a base.

chuckdog

After losing the previous one and the uncertainty of how much I'll get to use it, I couldn't make myself spend much more than I am on this one.

Honestly, I'm worried about long term prospects of shooting sports that don't involve Joe's 12 gauge shotguns.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Which base do you use ? I bought one but haven't found a base.
looks like they discontinued the base we use in 2019...it was the bench top model . The tripod replaced it. It will mount on any 1/4X20 tripod thread adapter.

Honestly, I'm worried about long term prospects of shooting sports that don't involve Joe's 12 gauge shotguns.

instant death for a Chrono :D

Bobby Bigtime

I use my chronograph to satisfy my curiosity and see how close my loads are with my manuals. I have never changed a load because of the reading on the chronograph. Not sure why I have the thing but if something were to happen to it I'm sure I would replace it. As velocity is not all that important to me the curiosity is.

SakoL61R

I’ve no idea how my 30+ year old, Oehler 35P stacks up against current brands and models. It does still function well. Used it at most every range session way back in my single days. Nowadays, once or twice a year, if that.
Considering current component shortages, I don’t have the luxury of “testing” like I used to.
Sticking with tried and true accuracy loads in all calibers for the time being. And not shooting much.

Darkhorse

My Chrono got legs and walked off about 20 years ago. At the time I found it useful as I was working up loads for elk hunts but I don't go anymore so don't really need a Chrono.
I just load like I did before the Chrono and do just fine.

As far as Joe's shotguns, I won't buy any type weapon until things get washed out and I know just what he plans on doing.

rosewood

I have a Chrony, but it has a hard time in low light. Picked up the Caldwell chronograph a couple of years back. Absolutely love it. It plugs into your smart phone (audio port) and logs the data on your phone instead of you having to write it down. It also works way better in low light than the Chrony. Seems like I got it on sale for maybe $89 or so. I think I read the new version connects to your smart device via bluetooth instead of wire now.

One thing I like about the chronograph, it tells you if you are in the ballpark with published data. I once had some off chart speeds. I realized something was wrong and found out I had my bullets seated too far out and they were jammed into the rifling jacking up pressures.

Rosewood

GregoryB.

I used my Birthday pricing from Midway and ordered the Competition Electronics Pro Chrono DLX Chronograph since it has the bluetooth and phone app. Curious to see what some of my Barnes loads are pushing especially in some of my milder mannered cartridges. Ordered this morning and its already packed and shipping label created, should be in the mail tomorrow.