Accepted The Chronograph Is Gone

chuckdog

I used my Birthday pricing from Midway and ordered the Competition Electronics Pro Chrono DLX Chronograph since it has the bluetooth and phone app. Curious to see what some of my Barnes loads are pushing especially in some of my milder mannered cartridges. Ordered this morning and its already packed and shipping label created, should be in the mail tomorrow.

I tried mine Sunday afternoon. Worked great!

I installed the phone app and they connected right up. I didn't dig into using the app yet.

I need to find a decent hard shell carrying case for it. Too easy to lose or damage rods and diffusers when traveling.

rosewood

I need to find a decent hard shell carrying case for it. Too easy to lose or damage rods and diffusers when traveling.
Good point, too bad they don't ship with one. My Chrony had the card board box that once you unpack, it all won't fit back in. So I just used the box for the parts and the Chrony separate. The Caldwell came with a bag and you can cram everything in it, but it is tight and doesn't protect it very well. A fitting box would be nice.

Rosewood

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I tried mine Sunday afternoon. Worked great!

I installed the phone app and they connected right up. I didn't dig into using the app yet.

Unfortunately it's not hard-sided and wouldn't hold up against gear getting piled on it.

I knew from prior experience with my old Beta Chrony that I had to do a better job of keeping all the parts together and not left in different range bags.

For riding to/from range and storing in closet on upper shelf I went with the CED case that Midway has on sale:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021895310?pid=862038

GregoryB.

That case looks good for storage. May have to get one soon. Luckily I shoot at the house so I don't have to pack up everything for a range trip. Mine is suppose to be here Thursday. Do they come with a battery ?

chuckdog

That case looks good for storage. May have to get one soon. Luckily I shoot at the house so I don't have to pack up everything for a range trip. Mine is suppose to be here Thursday. Do they come with a battery ?

"Batteries Not Included"

Couldn't resist.

One 9 volt required. It has a place to store an extra one in the same compartment.

chuckdog

Unfortunately it's not hard-sided and wouldn't hold up against gear getting piled on it.

I knew from prior experience with my old Beta Chrony that I had to do a better job of keeping all the parts together and not left in different range bags.

For riding to/from range and storing in closet on upper shelf I went with the CED case that Midway has on sale:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021895310?pid=862038

I looked at that when I ordered. Soft case just ain't for me. I've broken/cracked too many diffusers in the past.

rosewood

One thing I learned, if you want to chrongraph a shotgun load, place the chronograph about 2-3' away from muzzle. Much further than that, it has a hard time reading the shot. The manual with my Chrony actually said to move it close for shotgun. Surprisingly, the shotgun blast doesn't shake the chronograph much, guess because it is running so much lower pressures than some pistol and rifle cartridges.

Rosewood

Dub

Shooting range in your backyard is awesome!!!!!!!!

chuckdog

Picked this up at Walmart for $17.

I have some egg crate foam to use inside. The top storage areas should come in handy for batteries and such. It's lightweight. It ain't likely that it would hold up well for actual tools, but for the chronograph should work fine.

It's a perfect width, otherwise a bit larger than I need. Pretty sure mine won't, but without the inner tray I think some could fit their collapsed tripod inside too.

22" X 12" x 11"

chrono box3.jpeg

chono box1.jpeg

GeorgiaGlockMan

Picked this up at Walmart for $17.

I have some egg crate foam to use inside. The top storage areas should come in handy for batteries and such. It's lightweight. It ain't likely that it would hold up well for actual tools, but for the chronograph should work fine.

It's a perfect width, otherwise a bit larger than I need. Pretty sure mine won't, but without the inner tray I think some could fit their collapsed tripod inside too.

22" X 12" x 11"

View attachment 1065521

View attachment 1065522
I like it.
For a long time, I avoided buying a plastic tool box like that with the metal hasps like this one. I got one a couple of years ago for a truck bed "recovery tool box". Turned out the thing that I avoided over is what I like about it best...the metal hasps.

They lock up tight and have never opened up on accident while being bounced to kingdom come.

I hate loosing stuff. DONT ASK ABOUT THE TENT I LOST BEFORE I EVEN GOT IT UNLOADED FROM ACADEMY!!! Fwiw - "I found it".

Ajohnson0587

CED is a great unit, but it can be inconsistent. It’s the most used Chrono in the USPSA community for major matches. They have to build a box around the unit to gain the most consistent readings. I sold my CED last February and bought a Lab Radar, it was the best decision I made. Compact, has an App, Bluetooth, etc... But the best part is it’s size and the ability to use it indoors at any gun Range.

chuckdog

Mine has been very consistent "so far."

My use is very informal, and I kinda know what to watch for.

The Eley and SK 22 match ammo has proven to be a good "is it on" provider.

chuckdog

I arrived home yesterday and my wife looked me in the eyes as I came up the stairs from the basement entrance and said, "You love me no matter what, I know you do. Walk over here I have something to show you."

You can guess what it was. Yep, the runaway Crony. It was inside a suitcase that she got out of a hallway closet

She said, "That suitcase was heavy, didn't feel right. As soon as I opened it I saw a red carrying case inside, I knew what it was."

She had packed it as we began last year's move. Never thought once about it again.

"You're not mad?"

Nope, not in the least. I'm just glad the mystery is solved!

crony1.jpg

crony3.jpg

Dub

I arrived home yesterday and my wife looked me in the eyes as I came up the stairs from the basement entrance and said, "You love me no matter what, I know you do. Walk over here I have something to show you."

You can guess what it was. Yep, the runaway Crony. It was inside a suitcase that she got out of a hallway closet

She said, "That suitcase was heavy, didn't feel right. As soon as I opened it I saw a red carrying case inside, I knew what it was."

She had packed it as we began last year's move. Never thought once about it again.

"You're not mad?"

Nope, not in the least. I'm just glad the mystery is solved!

View attachment 1087244

View attachment 1087245

Bamsucka !!!!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Triple win:

1) lost Beta Chrony found
2) Perfect sized durable range bag recovered (I'd submit that's the greater of the two finds)....perfect size. The older I get the more I appreciate the smaller & well-arranged range bags.....not the bigger ones that I tend to load out entirely too heavy.
3) your memory remains unflawed and perfect......this happened outside of your presence. The nagging voice in yer noggin now quiets down. All is well.

PS EDIT: Now.....another little voice is gonna take residence in your thoughts..........your mind is going to be nagged and nagged until you perform what you must.......that is to do a dual-chronograph shoot and note the variance in readings......and report back to the world at large.

Then we will all ponder on which chrono is correct....... :unsure:

rosewood

My set of Dillon 45 colt dies up and disappeared. I had been using the box they came in as storage for small parts and couldn't find the dies. Searched high and low and couldn't find them. Ended up ordering a set of Lees so I could load the 460 S&W. I asked my ex had she seen them and as usual, she took offense as if I was accusing here. Which I wasn't, thought maybe she had ran across them where I had misplaced them. After months of thinking they were gone, I was going through boxes of bullets and found the set in a cast boolit box that I had forgot about putting them in. Glad I found them, the Dillon dies ain't cheap.

Rosewood

rosewood

I am still missing the whips for my K30 and K40 antennas. I am pretty sure they got moved from my old house to new one. I found the bases, but no whips. Kind of wanted to get my CB back up and running but don't want to spend any money. I am sure they will turn up right after I buy a new whip.

Rosewood

AceOfTheBase

Use my magnetospeed a lot, to establish powder burn rate for QL, confirm ladder test speeds, and most important, document the speed of the best grouping loads.
Even works on my 6" 686 with careful placement.
Like to pull the data off the SD card and enter into an ongoing data log.

Never have shot the wand, yet anyway.
Don't miss waiting for the line to go cold to place/adjust the old optical chrono. Another issue I don't miss is the alignment of the 2 Vees vs bullet path.

Did an initial comparison of the old optical vs new magnetospeed - they were very close within 1 or 2 fps every shot.

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

Gonna need a detailed report .....

I used my Birthday pricing from Midway and ordered the Competition Electronics Pro Chrono DLX Chronograph since it has the bluetooth and phone app. Curious to see what some of my Barnes loads are pushing especially in some of my milder mannered cartridges. Ordered this morning and its already packed and shipping label created, should be in the mail tomorrow.