Acorns ??

How2fish

Anyone seeing any yet ? There are some showing on the pin oaks near my house...wondering if anyone was seeing any white oaks yet or is it still too early ?? :confused:

Timberman

Prolly won't be a large crop this year. All the whites that made last year won't this year, the reds will though. The scattered whites that make this year :flag: as well as a good northern or southern red producing will be the early season key...after any soft mast is gone...

camotoy

went to my lease saturday in wilkerson co ,,most white oaks are few and far between but i found a couple that were loaded ...I MEAN LOADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! last year they were on most all the trees this year i may have a good chance with fewer trees with acorns :bounce:

H

HT2

Acorns.........

I've seen a few little bitty one's here and there..........

I'm hopin' we just have an average crop.........

I'd much rather have a mediocre crop than a bumper crop........

However with the acorns we had last year, they should be doin' the deer some kind of 'GOOD'!!!!!!!!

Arrow Flinger

I have seen several white and red oaks that were pushed down while clearing lots and about half has had acorns.

White oaks can have acorns every year while red oaks take 2 years to mature.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Acorns

The storm blew down some small Red Oak limbs on my place in Gilmer. There was evidence of a good crop.

Have looked at several White Oak limbs and have seen no acorns.

This is a small sample so it may not have much value.

Vernon

How2fish

Thanks for the info....we had the last 2 years back to back great crops of white oaks.....going down to the club weekend after next will be taking a look...just a personal observation...seems the years we get more than average rain we get more white oaks on our lease...anyone else notice that??

GA DAWG

I'm with 300mag.The white oaks I've looked at around here have plenty of acorns.They are still really small.The red oaks are loaded along with the water oaks.

Timberman

White oaks can have acorns every year while red oaks take 2 years to mature
Yup. Had it backwards. :eek: Course for the first time in over 100 years white oak lumber is bringing more than red oak, so I'm all mixed up.... :huh:

short stop

i havent paid much attn too them ---but I will start scoutin trees in about a month ---HOPE theres a avg crop --I see alot more deer in my areas when you can find trees dropping here and there vs. all over . Much easier to single out certain trees than a whole ridge line . SHORT

TJay

I was at our club on Sat, and the white oaks I checked out had a pretty good crop already started.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
used the ole Binoculars

to check out the oaks last weekend.................we are loaded with White Oaks/Water/Willow Oaks..........average crop of Red Oaks and Swamp Chestnut Oaks.........Sawtooths, of course, are loaded. :) :)........Madison/Oglethorpe County.

Jorge

coon dawg said:
.......average crop of Red Oaks and Swamp Chestnut Oaks........Madison/Oglethorpe County.
Do you know where Swamp Chestnut Oaks are on the club?

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

Jorge said:
Do you know where Swamp Chestnut Oaks are on the club?
nope,...............but there's a bunch on my farm. :D...............might have seen a few up the hollow that runs from the creek seperating the camp/quarry side, south of the Echols road food plots. :) :)

Last edited:

Jorge

coon dawg said:
.....might have seen a few up the hollow that runs from the creek seperating the camp/quarry side, south of the Echols road food plots. :) :)
I've never seen one in there but there very will could be. I have only found one on the club that produces.

Chuck C

The white oaks in my yard are LOADED!
Red oaks are looking good as well.

My home is in Cherokee County and I have found that the trees on my land in Gordon County are usually similar in mast production to trees at my house.

We had nothing last year!
I have the only large stand ofmature hardwoods for quite a ways and if we don't have acorns, we don't see as many deer.

It's shaping up to be a goodun' best I can tell.