Active gopher tortoise den

Tugboat1

Sounds like south Georgia and Florida have strong populations. I used to see them in Lauren's County with regularity running a trap line and hunting back in the late 70s.
Came across a live specimen in the spring crossing a county road on a fishing trip to the St. John's. He was about 12 inches across. Warms my heart to know they are holding their own.20220518_124515.jpg

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Sounds like south Georgia and Florida have strong populations. I used to see them in Lauren's County with regularity running a trap line and hunting back in the late 70s.
Came across a live specimen in the spring crossing a county road on a fishing trip to the St. John's. He was about 12 inches across. Warms my heart to know they are holding their own.View attachment 1179971
I saw one on price drive a couple years ago. Where’d you find the den?

sparky

my late stepmom would tell stories of growing up in hard times in brewton AL back in the 40's, she said they would have starved if it weren't for ''gophers''.....i grew up thinking gophers were like little groundhogs and i told her that it was disgusting to think i had to eat one to survive. it wasnt until she explained what it was that i understood it was like a turtle...
I grew up in Andalusia Al,I had a older man show me how they caught 'em back in hard times,he cut a wild grape vine,wired a sharpened bent nail on one end,run it in the hole,hook the edge of the shell,start pullin,slow ,steady ,out he came,we released him back to his hole !

Worlldbeater

We have many of them on our farm. What Nic said about them is right. Indigo snakes use their dens as well as rattlesnakes and other animals.