Added new pics-Tutorial how to skull mount a whitetail

spwatz

Just a note, water in an open container will not get hotter than its normal boiling temperature. While cooking oil can get very hot, the water will stay around 212 degrees, no matther how much the heat is turned up. However, antlers or anything sticking outside the pot may heat up too much is the heat source it too hot. Also, I've used the volume 40 with great results, plus it is quicker.

mtr3333

Banned
Be sure to follow the boiling instructions. This works! I'll post pics later.

MAPSTRE

I followed these instructions on 3 bucks harvested from this year. It worked out well. Only difference was I used 40% peroxide on the skulls. Turned them bright white in a day.

BornToHuntAndFish

Good to see & learn the different ways to clean & make a european deer skull mounts. Last night I watch the latest short online Midwest Whitetail episode for the Southeast region where a hunter shows Do-It-Yourself ways for euro mounts at the web link below.

The guy in the free video who does lots of these boils the skull in water with Oxyclean which removes more of the oil from the bone which I've heard others say they do in other threads but not in this one yet. He said it takes him 20 min. to get the water to a low boil while he removes the skin & meat from the skull. Next, he boils it the 1st time 30 min. trying to minimize the time for the skull in the boiling water since he says it can weaken the bone if left in the boiling water too long & then he uses a pressure washer so that 75-85% of the skull is clean. Finally, he low boils it a 2nd time for 20 min. & uses his pressure washer to finish the cleaning but also used needle nose pliers to remove remaining skin & meat. He likes to use the 40% peroxide solution to whiten the skull but recommends using rubber gloves since 40% peroxide can burn your skin. Last, he shows several ways he likes to mount the skull for table tops, desks, or walls.

See more details at:

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gallery/131/media/4725/se1218-urbanized-hunting.html

"This weeks show we'll join up with the 'Boys on Fire', Clint Benbow and Kyle Gilliland, as the harvest another buck on one of there urban properties in Raleigh, NC. To follow that hunt, we have a step-by-step DIY european mount segment from Matt Morris. Enjoy the show and have a very Merry Christmas."

resizer.ashx

Last edited:

RUGERWARRIOR

I'll try to post mine! But I used 40 volume peroxide from a salon. You tube is awesome too.

RUGERWARRIOR

How do I get pics on here from my I phone? I'm use to a chisel and stone, not all these fancy devices.

BornToHuntAndFish

How do I get pics on here from my I phone? I'm use to a chisel and stone, not all these fancy devices.

Save your photos on a free photobucket web account & post/embed the picture's URL or web link on the forum which is what most folks do from their cell phones. Otherwise, move pics to a PC & post on the forum.

cpowel10

I'm glad so many folks found my thread useful'

Save your photos on a free photobucket web account & post/embed the picture's URL or web link on the forum which is what most folks do from their cell phones. Otherwise, move pics to a PC & post on the forum.

That's what I do, download the photobucket app. It works great.

cpowel10

I forgot to mention that I'm going to do another deer in the next few days. Does anyone have any pictures of specific steps you'd like to see?

BornToHuntAndFish

Here's a couple more

Sure looks good on some fine euro skull cleaning mounts, cpowell10.:clap:

I have a couple questions about my concerns:

1.) Do you ever have to worry about the base of the antlers fading out with a lighter color while submerging the complete skull in the hot water to make sure the top of it gets clean?

2.) While the outside of the antlers touch the top edges of the hot metal pot with the water boiling, do you ever have to worry about the antlers getting dark burn marks where they touch the hot metal pot?

Thanks again.

cpowel10

Sure looks good on some fine euro skull cleaning mounts, cpowell10.:clap:

I have a couple questions about my concerns:

1.) Do you ever have to worry about the base of the antlers fading out with a lighter color while submerging the complete skull in the hot water to make sure the top of it gets clean?

2.) While the outside of the antlers touch the top edges of the hot metal pot with the water boiling, do you ever have to worry about the antlers getting dark burn marks where they touch the hot metal pot?

Thanks again.

The water doesn't seem to lighten the antlers (some guys say it does), if anything the heat makes them a little darker. I don't think the top of the pot gets hot enough to put a mark on them. I never worry about it.

The peroxide is the biggie. I got a little on the bases of the 10 pt above and you can tell. Just a little hot peroxide on the antler and it'll turn white. Wood stain will fix that so it's not a big deal either.

BornToHuntAndFish

Thanks for the helpful info. Yep, I hear everybody loud & clear about being careful with the peroxide getting on antlers & turning 'em white.

sothunfried

i used the peroxide that they use in salons,,got it at a store called sallys,,a couple of applications left it on about an hour and it did a good job

BornToHuntAndFish

i used the peroxide that they use in salons,,got it at a store called sallys,,a couple of applications left it on about an hour and it did a good job

After hearing about it on this forum, that's what I've bought but have not used it yet. I've heard many times how well that higher concentrated peroxide works.

sothunfried

After hearing about it on this forum, that's what I've bought but have not used it yet. I've heard many times how well that higher concentrated peroxide works.

i did 2 skulls this year, and make sure you tape up the antlers.
i coated the entire skull (don't forget the eye sockets), put it in front of a electric heater cause heat helps it activate better.
after an hour i just hosed it off, if i needed a another coat i would dry off the skull and repeat untill i like the results.
2x did good enough for me.
good luck.

BornToHuntAndFish

i did 2 skulls this year, and make sure you tape up the antlers.

i coated the entire skull (don't forget the eye sockets), put it in front of a electric heater cause heat helps it activate better.

after an hour i just hosed it off, if i needed a another coat i would dry off the skull and repeat untill i like the results.
2x did good enough for me.

good luck.

Appreciate the voice of experience & the good recommendations.

:cheers: