Advice for crystal river

tdenton

Wife and I going to crystal river with our 23 foot Carolina skiff ultra last two weeks of March. Never fished there. Any advice on fishing and/ or navigation? Boat ramps? Maps? Help appreciated.

pottydoc

STAY in the channel on the way in and out. There’s some sharp turns, and you don’t want to get out of the channel even a little bit. There’s a manatee zone starting 1/4 mile or so before the river mouth, make sure to slow down there. FWC likes to sit there and write tickets. Keep a careful watch for rocks even after you get in deeper water. The bottom there is almost all rock. There’s a ramp at Mcreas on the south side and Riverhaven on the north side of the river. Drift grass flats for trout, fish islands and points that have moving water and mullet on them for reds. Did I mention there’s lots of rocks and hard bottom there? ? March is a good month to go, should be good fishing

tdenton

STAY in the channel on the way in and out. There’s some sharp turns, and you don’t want to get out of the channel even a little bit. There’s a manatee zone starting 1/4 mile or so before the river mouth, make sure to slow down there. FWC likes to sit there and write tickets. Keep a careful watch for rocks even after you get in deeper water. The bottom there is almost all rock. There’s a ramp at Mcreas on the south side and Riverhaven on the north side of the river. Drift grass flats for trout, fish islands and points that have moving water and mullet on them for reds. Did I mention there’s lots of rocks and hard bottom there? ? March is a good month to go, should be good fishing
You are too kind! Thank you so much for the advice!

salmonhands

Would be worth fishing some of those rock piles if you can get to them safely. Idk if the grouper will still be there but in Dec. you can catch them on plugs and topwater baits, which would be a heckuva good time. Might find a variety of inshore species still on em if the grouper are gone.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beehaw

That is one of my favorite places on earth. Where are you staying? Are you going to be snorkeling?

tdenton

Would be worth fishing some of those rock piles if you can get to them safely. Idk if the grouper will still be there but in Dec. you can catch them on plugs and topwater baits, which would be a heckuva good time. Might find a variety of inshore species still on em if the grouper are gone.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I watched that show...I hope they are there!

Beehaw

If you have a dock, it is a lot easier. Water should be warm enough to have the fish on the flats, provided it stays warm.
You can also fish a lot of the backwater around shell island (right at the river mouth) on both sides; good redfish area.
As other said, stay in the channel markers if you are running. That area grows a lot of rocks.

Google Earth is your friend; there is a lot of good snorkeling but you will want a wetsuit that time of year. We like to ride to the Plantation for drinks at least once.

Fishingstickman

I am on the crystal river and Homosasa almost daily, Crystal river is really easy to navigate compared to Homosassa, watch your tides when you go up creeks or fish the mangroves go slow on trolling motor or push pole, you will see a lot of guides with 24 skiffs like yours. There will be a lot of snook right around where you are staying. fish incoming tides hit areas like you do for bass, a gold rattletrap on the old sea walls just south of bagleys cove is good, and just about every creek you pass off the main river is good.
There are sand bars at the mouths of the creeks and they have scattered rock piles and bars on the bends. The grouper are always on shallow rocks, in the winter the water is clear so its easier to see the scattered rocks when you are running out there.
If you are staying on the indian river canal off ft island road you can launch about a mile further down the road at a nice public ramp.

tdenton

I am on the crystal river and Homosasa almost daily, Crystal river is really easy to navigate compared to Homosassa, watch your tides when you go up creeks or fish the mangroves go slow on trolling motor or push pole, you will see a lot of guides with 24 skiffs like yours. There will be a lot of snook right around where you are staying. fish incoming tides hit areas like you do for bass, a gold rattletrap on the old sea walls just south of bagleys cove is good, and just about every creek you pass off the main river is good.
There are sand bars at the mouths of the creeks and they have scattered rock piles and bars on the bends. The grouper are always on shallow rocks, in the winter the water is clear so its easier to see the scattered rocks when you are running out there.
If you are staying on the indian river canal off ft island road you can launch about a mile further down the road at a nice public ramp.
thankyouso much! Are you a guide or just like to fish!